Join now - be part of our community!

Standby power consumption

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Standby power consumption

I started to measure power consumption in standby with an EdiMax SP-2101W and FHEM software.

First test I have done is with optimized settings like:

Remote start: disabled

Automatic software downloading: disabled

plot2.jpg

There are easily 50-100 wake-ups per night which might sooner or later upset the PSU.

At least with those optimized settings, it went to deep sleep for the first time about half an hour after switching off the set (going from ~20W to 0.5W).

This test was done with the antenna cable unplugged. It might very well be that the TV therefore fails to update the EPG/services, retrying every X minutes.

@Anonymous @Peter_S. Maybe you guys can find something out about Sony standby behavior? That does not look too healthy...

Next night I will try with antenna cable plugged in.

Tags (1)
86 REPLIES 86
profile.country.DE.title
mpiet1
Contributor

Of course the HW SHOULD not be damaged by the wake-ups, but who knows how it will be after some years when the waranty is over.

I am not only afraid about risk of HW damage but also what the tv is sending out into the internet. For example youview set wakeup time for every 10 minutes, for what? Youview is not working in Germany. So after the location setting it should be deactivated completely.

And what about the EU regulation for standby consumption for TVs? It is not allowed to power up in standby when it is not allowed by customer (like checking for epg-, system-, appudates).

Sony is the system supplier, so Sony is responsible even if google services are running on the tv and invokes also wake-ups. But sony has to talk with google and find a solution to prevent unnecessary wake-ups. Only timer wake-ups should be allowed when all other udpate function stuff is deactivated.

Sony 65XF9005 - Sony STR-DN1070 - Apple TV 4K [Früher: Sony KD-55XD8005 - Sony KD-55XE8505 - Sony KD-55XF9005 - Samsung 55NU8009]

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@mpiet1 Oh no, I totally agree on that. I expressed the same identical concerns about the standby consumption earlier in the thread. Which is how i discovered (thanks to @Kuschelmonschter) that disabling the remote start it does't always stay alive, or at least it doesn't consume 17W/h, which is ridiculous.

But as usual that's the state of the OS in these televisions. I have got so tired of enumerating all the bugs that I gave up hoping for a solution, and I looked for workarounds instead. And in this case the workaround is to turn the remote start off. If I remember correctly doing so the standby coinsuption goes down to less than 0.5W/h. And I actually find the remote start to be a nuisance as well, because too many times i sent the Google cast stream to the wrong TV (making me moving to the other room to check and turn off the TV in case), so off it stays.

profile.country.DE.title
mpiet1
Contributor

I am going two ways, looking for a workaround and making pressure on the customer service. I hope to find a way that will limit the alarms in alarmmanager.

Sony 65XF9005 - Sony STR-DN1070 - Apple TV 4K [Früher: Sony KD-55XD8005 - Sony KD-55XE8505 - Sony KD-55XF9005 - Samsung 55NU8009]

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Sure, it's always worth to give it a try. Hopefully with Sony support you'll be luckier! Then if you find anything by other means keep us posted. :slight_smile:

profile.country.DE.title
mpiet1
Contributor

The most agressive wakeups are forced by following pakages:

com.google.android.gms

com.sony.snei.video.hhvu
com.sony.dtv.dialservice

com.youview.tv.servicehost

The last 3 Sony services are setting cyclic wakeups every 30 minutes!

I wrote in the German forum about a deaktivation possibility: Link

It is just a temporary solution.

The most important thing is: Create issues to the sony support and don´t stop clamming! Sony is responsible to the complete system even using a 3rd party OS. And sony is responsible to fulfil the standby requirements.

profile.country.BE.title
bistory
Explorer

Any news about this issue ? I recently made a factory reset for other issues but now my TV won't go to deep sleep anymore... It constantly consumes 23W.
I have no Google account connected to it, disabled remote start, disable EPG update, automatic firmware updates and I have no app installed except Kodi... This setup is making that smart TV just dumb but it doesn't fix the high power consumption !

profile.country.GB.title
nemwen
Explorer

Here's something interesting I tried with XF85:

On Google play store for ATV you can get an app called Button Maper made by flar2 from xda-developers.

It allows you to remap remote control buttons including to Power Dialog which lets you shutdown the TV like you'd do with a mobile (long press power buttton).

And it does shut it down. If you press the power button on the remote it will start with the 1 minute boot procedure.

Two odd things though:

- Android will throw "permission denied" error whenever you fiddle with the Button Mapper app and also after booting and loading the Home screen. I guess the app would ideally require the OS to be rooted (which nobody's managed to do with Sony).

- Whilst shut down, it will often make the power led blink red 8 times. With Android TV it's not clear if this a hardware error. The 2017 service menu is not clear for me but it mentions the  8 times red blink as 4KPQ ERR which could mean a hardware issue when accompanied by sudden shutdowns or ?nothing? when it just appears logged in the service menu.

Anyway, perhaps someone wants to replicate this. If the thrown error is just Android panicking when it gets an (unofficially supported) shutdown then this might be the solution to the power hungry stand-by mode.