Join now - be part of our community!

Let's talk about the screen

Lukalumen
Contributor

Let's talk about the screen

From day 1 I thought going 21:9 was a great move on so many levels, but after using it today it's even better than I thought...

19.5:9 screens are kind of half way between being useful as taller screens and not conforming to standards. If you're not going to do 16:9 and use the most established ratio in any industry, now I feel like 21:9 is the way to go.

On the XZ3 I though split screen was a cute thing, that sometimes can be useful, but most of the time it just wasn't great. There was always some screen real estate missing when watching a YouTube video and messaging, but with this screen omg, it's perfect.

It fits a YouTube video in 16:9, messages and the keyboard comfortably on the same screen...

Websites or any lists or scrolling through the UI are so much better and easier...

And the colours... Wow. Perfect. The first screen that I really consider to be perfect. The XZ3 had arguably the best screen on the market, but looking at them side by side, it was still a bit too cold looking in Standard mode. This thing is spot on.

I'll look into the black clipping that someone mentioned on the forum though and will get back with findings.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Diamond pentile does not mean it's Samsung, whatever weibo say.

@ds2mph wrote:

@Viridis wrote:

Not a clue, but I know it's P-oled so therefore not Samsung (like many places reporting)

Whoever it is have done well, very, very well.

It's Samsung AMOLED

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4378494446276227#comment

Screenshot_20190601-225752.png

azzido
Enthusiast

Isolating screen out of other X1 issues I hope sony will fix the below with upcoming software repair: 

1. Low brightness
2. Lack of vivid mode

Lukalumen
Contributor

I really don't see any issues with it...

Brightness is not that low, it's just slightly lower than the XZ3, which was one of the brightest screens, brighter than the S9 and iPhone XS when I compared them live...

And also it's probably mostly just percieved brighness because the colours are now perfectly balanced and the XZ3 still was on a bit of a cold side in Standard mode, which is more of a trick to make the whites appear brighter.

From that point, I will not miss the unnatural super vivid mode because I never used it anyway, but maybe they should add it back for people who are used to it.

ds2mph
Visitor

@Viridis wrote:

Diamond pentile does not mean it's Samsung, whatever weibo say.

@ds2mph wrote:

@Viridis wrote:

Not a clue, but I know it's P-oled so therefore not Samsung (like many places reporting)

Whoever it is have done well, very, very well.

It's Samsung AMOLED

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4378494446276227#comment

Screenshot_20190601-225752.png

AIDA64 is such an idiot app Rolling_on_the_Floor_laughingRolling_on_the_Floor_laughing This is the pixel array of Pixel 2 XL (LG P-OLED)

Below is XZ3 (LG P-OLED)

And below is pixel array of Xperia 1 (Samsung AMOLED)88155b1dgy1g3m0150hbjj21400u0u17.jpg 

Below is Galaxy S9 (Samsung AMOLED)dd

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

You realise that if you rotate the images shown for xz3 and Xperia 1 they match yeah