Join now - be part of our community!

Always on display clock not updating since Android 11

profile.country.GB.title
Blue5161

Always on display clock not updating since Android 11

Hi, I recently updated to Android 11 on my Xperia 5 II and received a couple of bugs along with it.

First one is the AOD clock showing the incorrect time, it updates when the screen is double tapped and woken. The other one I've noticed is, I'm receiving some notifications later than I should be doing, I'm guessing android 11 is too strict with hibernating the phone when not active in comparison to Android 10. 

I believe it has also caused benchmark scores to be substantially lower than when tested in Android 10. I haven't personally noticed much of a slow down but I'm not a heavy user but maybe gamers would notice a difference.

I understand bugs are part and parcel of new major firmware updates but I gather Sony delayed the 11 update for the Xperia 5 II because these bugs were flagged up on other Xperia models that received the update 1st, they haven't been fixed so pointless holding the update back if we're in the same boat as Xperia 1 II users.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

you can try the steps in this link , it might solve the issue: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets/articles/00237681

profile.country.GB.title
Blue5161

Ive done everything on that guide barring the software companion fix thing, after i 1st did a factory reset it seemed to work ok for a while but then went back to showing the wrong time again so I've turned AOD off and just tap the power button if i need the time. After looking on Reddit it seems to be affecting most if not all people that have upgraded to Android 11 so hopefully Google or Sony are on the case, not sure if a Google play services update will fix it, I believe with Android 11 Google send fixes through the Playstore now as well. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

The same happens with my clock since the uodate, along with accelerated battery drain. I hope a fix comes out soon.

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

So, my clock was set to only display after either lifting my phone or double tapping the screen which was showing the incorrect time. I've now set it to always be on and the time is staying correct. 🤔

Still hope it's something that'll be fixed in the next update. Would rather not have the clock displaying all the time, especially since my battery is now draining faster since Android 11 update.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

For the battery issue, you can check the instructions in this link:https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets/articles/00235697

For the clock issue, what if you disabled the automatic date and time on your device, will it be the same ?

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

I've had a look at those instructions, but they're not really a solution to the battery drain problem. The only real solution is for Google to fix the problem.

Regarding the clock problem, I've just tried disabling automatic date and time and left my phone for 5 minutes. When I picked the phone up, the time was the same as when I left it. Unlocking the phone then showed the correct time. I'm quite happy to leave the always on display for now until there's an update that'll fix it.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Sorry to hear that didn't help, however I'm sure there will be an update to fix these issues just like what happened with Android 10 before.

profile.country.CZ.title
MxIRay
Explorer

I don't have exactly the same problem although it could be related to it. In my AOD the Messenger icons are always displayed even when I've read all conversations and hid the chat bubbles. That causes a situation when I have permanently 3 Messenger icons in my AOD and every other icon is aggregated to a "+1..." indicator.