Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
jwq001

@rocdefrost wrote:

Since yesterday I am the (not yet) proud owner of a KDL65W855. Amonst others I have these two issues:

- I only receive SD tv channels, no HD. My cable provider (Ziggo in Utrechte the Netherlands) does provide HD (on my old tv, my tv in de bed room). Who can help me?

Thanks!

Re HD channels, are you using a CI+ module ? It sounds as though you are only receiving the "free" channels, not the encoded (=HD) ones....

Also, when scanning/programming channels, you need to select "other" as provider

rocdefrost
Explorer

Yes i am using a CI+ module.

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

I noticed on Tuesday and Wednesday night while watching Ray Donovan and Wayward ***** that the screen was dimming in dark scenes and brighten in light. Immediately I thought the Sony was up to no good again, it must of turned on the ambient light sensor for whatever reason.

So hit the action menu button (few moments later) the menu pops up, still not loading all the options properly and being ropey. Went to Picture and saw straight away that the light sensor setting was off!

Anybody else notice the screen dimming and lighting at night while viewing, bit still have sensor turned off?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Why was the word "*****" removed from the comment I just posted? lol

rdlowry

I was having the same issue and disabled the contrast enhancer. Resolved it
for me.
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Cool, I will have a go at that tonight then @rdlowry

elraouk

Same file played fine using the TVs own Video player. I then noticed a plex app update, so updated it and restarted the TV and, so far, playback seems ok.  Controls are a bit clunky using the TV remote, something I guess I need to get used to.

Still got a lot of learning to do with PLEX, to improve the experience and tune to my needs (lots of menus that I don't think I need to see, so hopefully some options I can turn off).

Have installed Kodi too, menus seem slicker than PLEX at the moment but I need to see if I can find a skin I like for Kodi, I really wish someone would produce a Boxee skin for Kodi (as my family all know how to use Boxee!).

VolkersK
Explorer

@rocdefrost
I had the issue where my hd channels were located higher up in the channel list (901+ from the top of my head). When searching for channels I had chosen UPC. After searching for channels again but this time selecting Other (I think..) the hd channels showed up where they should.
profile.country.GB.title
jwq001

@VolkersK wrote:
@rocdefrost
I had the issue where my hd channels were located higher up in the channel list (901+ from the top of my head). When searching for channels I had chosen UPC. After searching for channels again but this time selecting Other (I think..) the hd channels showed up where they should.

yep, that's normal. (former) UPC and Ziggo have different sequence of channels....

rocdefrost
Explorer

Thanks. I will try it tonight!