Join now - be part of our community!

55XD7005 lacking basic functionality

Bash84G
New

55XD7005 lacking basic functionality

Hi

I bought the 55XD7005 at the weekend and am quickly regretting I parted with £730 for a TV that I believe lacks basic functionality.

Before purchasing I was already aware that you can only record programs from the standard guide and not through Youview.  I only found this out by chance but I was prepared for this. I already own an external Youview box and was planning on using that.

After unboxing I noticed the satelillite connection which is great as I have an unused dish. So I've hooked up the digital and satellite. Picture quality through satellite is a bit sharper so was hoping to use this and ditch the idea of using in-built digital or my external Youview box.

So onto the features I believe should be basic in-built functionality  or am having issues with.

1. The satellite guide is not updating. Says no event information for all channels. Found no helpful forum posts to solve this. The digital guide is fine

2. When your recording you cant watch any other channel

3. You can't live pause

For points 2/3 I splashed out £70 for an external HDD.

If I had known these lack of features I'd of never got the HDD and most probally not the TV.

Looks like I'm going to have to splash out another £200 for a proper freeview or freesat PVR. Bringing the total setup to nearly £1000!

Only a few days in and that's what I've discoverd so far. 

What a dissapointment!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets see if I can answer your questions.

Question 1 - Satellite EPG

Unfortunately Sony TVs are not Freesat, they are sold as Freeview.  See my answer : HERE

Question 2 - Recording

As your TV only has one tuner, this therefore prevents you from recording 1 station and watching another.  However in theory, you 'should' be able to watch another station IF both are on the same multiplex (MUX).  For a list of mux's see : HERE (havent tested this in a while though)

Question 3 - Live Pausing

This is one of the most requested features (this and bluetooth headphone connectivity) - officially called "Timeshift".  Unfortunately this is not going to happen for some time (if ever).   I can only hope that it is one day implemented. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Why have you got to spend another £200 on a proper Freeview or Freesat PVR when, as you said, you have a YouView box, which should fulfil this role admirably?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking