Join now - be part of our community!

Battery life Sony A90J remote control

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Headhurts

Battery life Sony A90J remote control

Hi to everyone I wonder what your thoughts are on the battery life of my tv remote control.

I have had my Sony A90J since 13/08/21, my tv has just responded with a prompt for me to change the batteries in my remote control, this will be the third set of batteries since receiving the tv, the batteries used are good quality the ones in at the moment being Duracell alkaline.

I have just phoned Sony Support who tell me this is normal and they would only consider 20 days or less as abnormal.

The remote with this tv is quite a lovely looking one which has a back light that I have turned off, I’m reluctant to purchase another one in case they are right and a newly purchased one would be no better.

Sony support to my mind has seemingly deteriorated since my initial dealings with Sony many years ago.

It is probably cheaper for me to carry on changing these batteries rather than paying out £60 ish for a replacement remote.

Any thoughts welcome.

Robin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I suspect this will be normal. So this your 3rd set just fitted meaning it has run for 5 months on two sets. So much modern tech is very power hungry compared to devices of yesteryear. It does sound on the high side, I'm not familiar with the model but I'll bet its not faulty.  

I would also suggest you try some different battery brands for interest. My background is consumer electronics like this and sadly Duracell and Energizer have about the worst reputation in the trade, mainly for very real problems with leakage. As you show as 'UK' I would suggest trying Sony or Kodak alkalines from £ land or Panasonic from that other well known outlet. No others though. And always alkaline for something power hungry.

Also in case you were wondering, rechargeable cells probably wouldn't be a good choice because they have both lower capacity than alkaline types and also have a lower terminal voltage.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I suspect this will be normal. So this your 3rd set just fitted meaning it has run for 5 months on two sets. So much modern tech is very power hungry compared to devices of yesteryear. It does sound on the high side, I'm not familiar with the model but I'll bet its not faulty.  

I would also suggest you try some different battery brands for interest. My background is consumer electronics like this and sadly Duracell and Energizer have about the worst reputation in the trade, mainly for very real problems with leakage. As you show as 'UK' I would suggest trying Sony or Kodak alkalines from £ land or Panasonic from that other well known outlet. No others though. And always alkaline for something power hungry.

Also in case you were wondering, rechargeable cells probably wouldn't be a good choice because they have both lower capacity than alkaline types and also have a lower terminal voltage.  

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Headhurts, I agree with moly, this is normal for a remote specially if you h ave the backlit one.