Join now - be part of our community!

Change volume on amp connected to TV via optical out

Change volume on amp connected to TV via optical out

I have a Sony xd80 Tv which has a fantastic remote that controls PS3, etc but I cannot get it to control the volume on my Marantz hifi thats connected via optical out cable.

hope someone can help it's really annoying me (sky remotes have his feature for 10 years + and I don't want to use multiple remotes or buy a hdmi hifi. Hope someone can help here??

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

I'm not clear if you are just looking for variable optical out volume, which these Android Sonys support in the Sound\Headphone/Audio Out submenu, or if you want to program the Sony remote to control the Marantz completely.

Which is it please, before I go digging in the wrong field for you?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

Thanks! I have the sound coming from the optical out of the Sony XD80 into my Marantz MCR510 which sounds lovey... Changing the volume on the Sony remote obviously changes the Tv speakers sound but I want it to change the volume on the Marantz with the Tv remote... it's a great remote and it seems to control everything else naturally  like PS3, Apple TV etc but that's via hdmi. 

It has an ir blaster but not getting anywhere with that either, it seems to suggest that only hdmi (arc?) devices work with it. 

I would have thought this is achievable, any ideas what I'm doing wrong? (Apart from not buying a Sony hdmi sound at? :slight_smile: I love my Marantz and spent my cash on the Tv!)

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

My humble X83 does not support an IR blaster, alas.

But since yours does, then according to the decent proper-ish Help Manual here, we find:-

-----------

To set up the IR Blaster
Press the HOME button, then select [Settings] — [External inputs] — [IR Blaster setup].
Select the desired device from the list, then follow the on-screen instructions.

Hint

The IR Blaster can operate an AV receiver. To set up an AV receiver, press the HOME button, then select [Settings] — [External inputs] — [IR Blaster setup] — [AV receiver control setup].
If the AV receiver is a BRAVIA Sync-compatible device, an IR Blaster is not needed.

----------------

So the IR blaster is only for non-CEC (i.e. not HDMI Bravia Sync) devices; but your Marantz does need to be on that list of devices. Is it?

Failing all this, though, you could always buy a Harmony multifunction remote, set it for both TV and amp, and use that. 

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking