Join now - be part of our community!

Chromecast Ultra for 2018 Android TV?

profile.country.GB.title
kornelius1982
Explorer

Chromecast Ultra for 2018 Android TV?

Hello everyone, I got new Android TV 49XF8596 2018 model (upgraded to Android 😎 , which comes with build in Chromecast. I have separate Chromecast Ultra device, but as far as I see, there`s no point to use it on this TV, as they both are able to cast Youtube 4K.

So, I wonder if there`s any difference between the two and which is better?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@kornelius1982 wrote:

Hello everyone, I got new Android TV 49XF8596 2018 model (upgraded to Android 😎 , which comes with build in Chromecast. I have separate Chromecast Ultra device, but as far as I see, there`s no point to use it on this TV, as they both are able to cast Youtube 4K.

So, I wonder if there`s any difference between the two and which is better?

Thanks in advance.

You are possibly the only person in a position to make the comparison and let us know :tongue:

The Chromecast that is  built-in should be better, as it is completely integrated, one less device, and should generally be simpler all round; and there shouldn’t be any quality differences, as the TV takes over the collection of the cast programme.

But if you plug your Chromecast Ultra in anyway, then as long as you are offered the choice of which ‘device’ to cast to, and you can tell which is which, you can try it and see.

Maybe there will be some response times difference between the two, but my prediction would be that’s all.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Try to play The World in HDR in 4K which is 2160p60. Chromecast built into Android TV has huge problems with 60p on the slow MediaTek MT5891 SoC inside BRAVIA. Chromecast Ultra probably does a better job. When doing the comparison, make sure that your bandwidth is good enough and that playback indeed goes up to 2160p60.

profile.country.GB.title
HashbrownRolo

One small advantage of having an external Chromecast Ultra - the internal one won't let you turn the picture off whilst using it, whereas it will with an external one. Handy if you use it for Spotify and want to save power / are paranoid about burn-in.

profile.country.GB.title
kornelius1982
Explorer

I just did and have to say, there`s no difference at all. Maybe 2018 lineup have upgraded Chromecast hardware/software, who knows, but I dont see the reason to use external device for now. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

No. Yours is also based on the ancient MediaTek MT5891. I assume that YouTube on your TV does not go all the way up to 2160p60. Activate nerd stats in the YouTube app an check whether it does.