Join now - be part of our community!

Connect KD-49XD8305 to PC

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
willowozzy1
Explorer

Connect KD-49XD8305 to PC

We've just bought a new Android TV and I was hoping to be able to view photos stored on my PC through the TV.  Can this be done without using an HDMI cable?  Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Jonnie1266 wrote:

Hi,

I have just read this thread and I have to say that I was bewildered to say the least :thinking:

Just create a Home Network on your PC and, as you say, allow to share with all devices on the network - hey presto photographs are viewable on the telly ! Also on any Blu-ray player, Play Station and in my house a Panasonic Blu-ray recorder just because it can.

Smart Home Networking (DLNA) allows you to watch the contents on Server equipment connected on the same network from Client equipment. You can share videos, photos and music stored in the DLNA Certified media server (such as a PC with Windows 7 installed etc.) Equipment can be either assigned as client or server depending on what you want to see on what device. It is this same functionality that enables watching recorded programmes from a downstairs recorder on an upstairs television for instance through the network regardless of HDMI connections.

I think people are too quick to download apps and unrequired software these days :rolling_eyes: LOL

Pleased you have cracked it any way

Edit: P.S. I am sure my television has slide show and time interval between slides in the options menu when you are on the relevant screen. Can you check this ?

Regards

Hi Jonnie1266

Never be bewildered by the mess people can get themselves into 🙂

i am more often helping on here, rather than asking for help, and even this was an attempt at helping where I found I had bitten off more than I could chew 😞

But I learnt a lot, starting with all sorts of internet advice to Share folders you want to see on other devices, which I did, without ever specifying 'with Everyone', which initially I didn't. 

Then i found, as I suspected, but was too polite to say so, that we didn't need Serviio on the laptop. But if you ask for advice, you should take it 🙂 And I bet there will be an upcoming need where Serviio really is required.

Then I hit a Kodi bug. When you start using a new (to you) product, so you don't know if you are doing something wrong or not, and you aren't but the product is, you are in a world of hurt, until someone confirms that they know it's not working as it should.

I'm still dotting i's and crossing t's though - prompted by you, I hooked up a USB drive, and let the TV sniff it. To show the pictures, it started Album - and when I pressed Action Menu, it started a context sensitive menu in which an option on the right hand side was to start a slideshow. So that's how you do a slideshow in Album, and I guess this will work for the picture folder on my Vista laptop as well - and yes it does.

I can't find time interval in Album though - in Kodi yes, but anybody know if this can be done in Album, and if so, where?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

I hear you @royabrown

I sometimes cannot see the wood for the trees ! As you say, once you dig in to something there can be a new trick to be learned, after all there is more than one way to skin a cat (sorry Quinnicus)

I did neglect to mention that the devices on the network had to be DLNA compatible, most are these days I think.

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Jonnie1266 wrote:

I hear you @royabrown

I sometimes cannot see the wood for the trees ! As you say, once you dig in to something there can be a new trick to be learned, after all there is more than one way to skin a cat (sorry Quinnicus)

I did neglect to mention that the devices on the network had to be DLNA compatible, most are these days I think.

Regards

I was doing fine until you mentioned that about DLNA 😞

i don't think it's true, not of my laptop at least, where Album seems to be able to read my shared-with-Everyone Picture folder over the smb protocol.

What say you to this?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking