Join now - be part of our community!

Connectivity Bravia Android TV with Laptop

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
FeelingOld
Explorer

Connectivity Bravia Android TV with Laptop

After 3 days of setting up this new TV (KD-49XD8099) I am about to despair (and whenever I try direct online sony support I get told the web page is not available).

Anyway - as a final 'look at this amazing TV' moment, we watched a film on the TV which was being streamed directly from stored films on my laptop.  this used the 'Home' videos app.

It worked wonderfully and we were all impressed.  We were also able to look at all our digital pictures on the laptop.

Now, today, the TV can see the laptop, but when I try and view videos it says 'Please try later"

I just don't know what to do anymore.  Can anyone help? (or even tell me how to contact Sony Support ... do they exist?)

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
FeelingOld
Explorer

I have managed to solve this, even though I had almost given up.  I went to my laptop Windows Media player and looked at the film libraries it had listed.  My films were not on there.  I realised I had changed the folder name previously.  I 'Added' this folder and all my films appeared. A lightbulb went on in my head and when I now went to the Bravia TV - lo and behold it showed all my films.

I realise that rather than performing any file 'management' on my laptop, the Bravia is simplyy going to my laptop Media player and 'mirroring' what that is doing. So I think it is using the laptop media player to render the film and display that on the TV.  It would be really nice with these clever/smart TVs to know exactly what is going on under the hood.  Too little information causing lots of undue stress!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As it worked once, theres no reason why it cant work again.  When things go wrong, I always find that switching the power OFF completely to all associated devices and TV and start again.

Im not 100% sure on how you are streaming from your laptop to the TV, but I find that a DLNA server software called Serviio is rather reliable and use it in conjuction with an app on the TV called KODI.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
FeelingOld
Explorer

I have managed to solve this, even though I had almost given up.  I went to my laptop Windows Media player and looked at the film libraries it had listed.  My films were not on there.  I realised I had changed the folder name previously.  I 'Added' this folder and all my films appeared. A lightbulb went on in my head and when I now went to the Bravia TV - lo and behold it showed all my films.

I realise that rather than performing any file 'management' on my laptop, the Bravia is simplyy going to my laptop Media player and 'mirroring' what that is doing. So I think it is using the laptop media player to render the film and display that on the TV.  It would be really nice with these clever/smart TVs to know exactly what is going on under the hood.  Too little information causing lots of undue stress!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Glad you have managed to resolve your issue and post back the answer.  :slight_smile:

Cheers