Join now - be part of our community!

Every few days apps stop working on KD-49XD8088

profile.country.GB.title
____Telly
Explorer

Every few days apps stop working on KD-49XD8088

First post - please help! We've had a KD-49XD8088 for a few months now and find we have to force a reset (by holding down the power button on the remote) every 4-5 days. After doing this, the TV works okay with the odd glitch (like the sound continuing for 3-4 seconds after switching off the TV).

But then, a few days later, iPlayer, Amazon Video and All4 apps won't load. We can select them in Home, but nothing happens. They then won't work until we reset.

We've tried everything we can think of. New router (BT Homehub), cables, powerline adaptors, wifi instead of ethernet. All other devices in the home still work and we can access the internet and these catch-up services - just not on the TV!

All software is up to date, so the TV says.

The dealer we bought the TV from has kindly offered to replace the set with a new one, but I have a feeling something else is going that a new TV alone may not fix. But, I don't understand what's happening. Why might an app stop working and why would a reset start it working again?

All thoughts very welcome! Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Since you have had the TV, have you ever done a full factory reset?  As this can quite often resolve many issues - especially after updating the firmware too.

See instructions : HERE

It is known that a soft reset (like what you are doing currently) can also help, but it shouldnt need to be every 4-5 days (or there abouts) - and never mind the internet apps not working either.

Also note, that a factory reset will clear all settings.  So its handy to write them down before hand.  I have created a spreadsheet that may help, just download it and copy your settings into it.  It will help you later when you put them back in again.

See : HERE

See how that goes

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
____Telly
Explorer

Thanks. We have done full resets in the past, but not for a while. The soft reset option works and is relatively quick, but frustrating.

The spreadsheet is a good idea, though we haven't changed any settings for a long time as we lose them so often when resetting the TV!

I will try a full reset again, but as a soft reset solves the problem (albeit for a limited period), I'm really trying to understand what happens to the TV between that reset and the apps failing. It's as if our use of the TV makes a change to the software that permanently disables the apps unless we reset the software. How can that be?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I honestly cannot think of any reasons why the apps would suddenly not work after a few days.  But still recommend a factory reset, especially if you have not done one since the last firmware update which was on the 30th November 2016.

I can fully understand your frustrations too.  If the factory reset does not work, or improve things alot - please reply back and ill escalate this thread to Sony Support.  (Sony Support would only suggest a factory reset at this stage too !)

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
____Telly
Explorer

Thanks. Factory reset done, hadn't done one since last firmware update (at least, I don't think we'd done one, as the TV sometimes does its own reset!).

Hopefully, it will settle down now. I'll post back here in a couple of days.