Join now - be part of our community!

fx90 on youtube and browser and programs shows only 1080p

Mindaugas_1
Explorer

fx90 on youtube and browser and programs shows only 1080p

I bought 4k tv, but actualy it's 1080p. I feel myself cheated and that Sony deceived me. 

I see pixels from 1.5 meter away, I feel like I bought big peace of cheap s... 1080p now days is a garbage... I wanted to read news on  browser and I see pixels.... It's ugly, Sony is cheeting. Adverticed as 4k and got 1080p. I will ask to return my money. 

I have good gaming monitor, as it works as adverticed. Bot if you buy Sony 4k, you will get only 1080p. Movies for me would take only 5%. I am care about browsing, Youtube, music and other sruff. 

My friend has old 4k tv and everything is working on 4k. If it will be not fixed by updates soon, I will ask for money return. 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Mindaugas_1,

what exactly do you mean, would you mind giving more detail on which content is only shown as 1080p?

If you for exacmple play a normal Blu-Ray disc, the signal is only 1080p, yet the TV shows it on his 3840x2160 pixel display, meaning it uses 4 pixels to show the content of one video pixel.

By activating image enhancement effects (like improving the sharpness), the 1080p signal is going to be improved to look way better than the normal incoming signal.

If you think you see pixels, it can also be that you are actually experiencing "artifacts", which can show up as "blocks" in the video frame. This usually happens if you view highly compressed 1080p or even heavily compressed 4K content.

This video by Tom Scott explains this issue:

- Nic

Mindaugas_1
Explorer

I bought TV 3 days ago and I saw 0 movies. As I said, movies would take maximum only 5% of ussage. I have good gaming monitor and when I oppened browser I saw, that TV shows browser text with "4k" worse then my monitor 1440k. I was very surprized. I installed AdaBase64 and it detected my SONY Bravia as 1080p. I also tested with youtube 4k video and found, that the view is not as 4k. I saw 4k youtube on other TV the same clip, and the difference was big. I don't care about the history of reasons, I am care about result. Sony 4k is only some times 4k. For me 95% of usage it would be only 1080p as very cheep TV.  I don't want my tv to be 4k some times: some programs, some days (like friday). If it's 4k it must be always 4k. My friend has old 4k tv and his TV shows everything in 4k. 

It's the same, that you would by the car with 500HP engine, but that engine ussuly would be only 100HP, but only on mondeys 500HP. You would ask for money return or even ho to the law for cheeting. 

So Sony cheeted me. It's already outdated. It's 95% 1080p for me. I wanted 4k. Real 4k.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Mindaugas_1,

what signal/content are you trying to display?

If you connect a computer, make sure to activate "Game-mode" so the TVs enhancement modes don't mess with the 4K content your compouter delivers.

For YouTube make sure that your connection speed is fast enough and that the app as well as the TV are both on the latest update, otherwise it could be, that the YouTube app only loads the 1080p version of said video.

- Nic

Mindaugas_1
Explorer

Hi 

Thanks for response. I have 2 internet providers at home. One for one network (gaming), and the other one for TV.  For tv is internet connection +- to run 4k.

I tested with youtube 4k supported video. For example "4k Peru: /watch?v=1La4QzGeaaQ". I retested quality options to be sure the video is running 4k. It was running on 1080p and I forced to run it on 4k. Refreshed video, as it could be cached, retested, and it was running as 4k. And the view was like 1080p. I saw pixels from 1.5m. I installed AdaBase64. It detects all parameters. It detected my screen as 1080p. So it could meen, that standart programs "saw" the screen as 1080p.

Also I tried to read news on browser. The view was terrible. You must be minimum 2 meters away from TV as if closse, you see rectangles on the letters. As I said, I am developer and I have TV conference every every day. We share tasks, descriptions, grafics and other data. And my news on my Sony browser was terrible 1080p. 

And believ me, I was working with big 4k monitor, I know how the 4k text must look. To see rectangles on 4k display mission must be almost impossible. Now I am working with 2 * 1440p monitors and I have gaming montor 1440p 144Hz at home and Sony shows 1080p text. The text(letters) rectangles can be seen from distance.

It's just terrible.

Update options is checked to update any time. Everything is updated. I retested aplication version, it says that it's updated. But on Sony support page I found newer version!!!! Nut much, but newer. And Sony page says, that if your version is older then x, you must update. Manually or automatically. But automatically instructions says that I have newest version!!! Doring the first instalation(initial setup) I found 2 not correct links shown. One was missing https, another just incorrect and not responding. I google correct one. New SONY tv and such mistakes. Every every step with small mistakes. I even  don't talk about that Chrome browser or DropBox is not supported. I have photo, so how to wath them? Everytime copy to USB or open another device and do share'ing? 

Mindaugas_1
Explorer

I manually updated the TV software. Updated again Youtube. Youtube "stats for nerds" show that Sony Bravia FX90 viewport is only 1080p !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The slow CPU/GPU in Sony ATV1 and ATV2 (FX90) are not capable of rendering a 4K GUI at a reasonable speed. So it is rendered in 1080p which then gets upscaled to 4K. Video is a totally different story. It is decoded and rendered via MediaCodec Surface directly to the 4K output without any intermediary downscaling. So all is fine. Judge by your eyes, not by numbers. If you do judge by numbers, then check the video resolution inside nerd stats.