Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65XE9005 - Dolby Vision? Youtube HDR? Android 7.1.2 or 8.0?

profile.country.GB.title
SesioNLive

KD-65XE9005 - Dolby Vision? Youtube HDR? Android 7.1.2 or 8.0?

Hello guys,

I've just recently bought the TV mentiond in the subject and got a coule of questions.

1)

Are there any known plans for dolby vision support? Is the SOC MT5891 capable of supporting this feature? 

2) 

Same queston regarding Youtube, do you think that we will get 4K HDR? Can the SOC handle it?

3)
I've seen that there are other MT5891 devices going Android 7.1.2, are we also getting it? Or will there be a jump to 8.0? 

4) 

I've seen that many bugs which I also experiance (like volume bar not showing up or very delayed) have already been reported. How long does it usually sony take to fix such things? 

Thanks in advance for all the answers and comments :slight_smile:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

1)

Are there any known plans for dolby vision support? Is the SOC MT5891 capable of supporting this feature?

XE90 won't receive Dolby Vision. It does not feature the X1 Extreme processor.

MT5891 (MT5596) does not support it. MediaTek integrated the feature with MT5597. Sony did their own implementation inside their silicon though.

2) 

Same queston regarding Youtube, do you think that we will get 4K HDR? Can the SOC handle it?

YouTube HDR should come to XE90. MT5891 supports it. Seems like the drivers currently lack support for the new Nougat HDR APIs.

3)

I've seen that there are other MT5891 devices going Android 7.1.2, are we also getting it? Or will there be a jump to 8.0?

Guess you are new to Sony? Philips Android TV indeed seems to receive 7.1.2. Android on Sony's MT5891 based devices is on 7.0 currently. I don't think that there will be an update to 7.1.2. I don't even know whether the update is relevant for the TV.

Ask again about 8.0 in about a year. A year ago, some people also speculated on Sony skipping Marshmallow in favor of Nougat which of course did not happen. Sony might announce plans at CES2018 which is what happened in the past. Sony is about 1-2 years behind in regard to current Android version.

4) 

I've seen that many bugs which I also experiance (like volume bar not showing up or very delayed) have already been reported. How long does it usually sony take to fix such things?

Years to not at all. Most bugs have been there since the very beginnings of Sony's Android TV mission. From my experience, more bugs got added over the time than solved.

profile.country.GB.title
SesioNLive

Damn that was a fast and good answer! Thanks allot buddy.

Yeah I am new to Sony TV. I don't get something thought, if some moderators here have the possibility to actually pass the issues to the developement team, how come they don't work on fixing it? 

Afterall, people pay 2000-4000€ for all those TVs, so one could at least expect some support!

Like, when I buy an advanced app in the play store, for a couple of €, even there I can get feedback from the developers and get something fixed.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yeah I am new to Sony TV. I don't get something thought, if some moderators here have the possibility to actually pass the issues to the developement team, how come they don't work on fixing it? 

I think they hardly have any developers assigned to the TV. Also using MediaTek is an epic fail. Many issues are related to their chipsets. They have a history of not fixing severe bugs, keeping software support cycle rather short, not opening their Linux drivers under GPL. Sony and MediaTek are the worst imaginable combo. Also Google had to realize that their TV OS is not significant at all. Here we are with those broken Sony TVs...

Sony claims their TVs to be premium, yet they use MediaTek. Nothing to do with premium at all.

profile.country.GB.title
SesioNLive

Yeah there you are right, the SOC is low end hardware for sure.

Even a 2 years old Smartphone has way more CPU and GPU power included. Even a 2016 model for 120€ has more power.

I guess they just want to save some money, but in my personal opinion they would get way more customers if the TVs had a high-end SoC, so that everything runs buttersmooth and is well supported. Like imagine a Sony TV with the same SoC that runs on Nvidia Shield. 

A) The SoC is damn powerful and can run anything you throw at it easy

B) The SoC gets nice updates and support from Nvidia

But even a qualcomm SoC would've been enough and much much better than what they have now. 

Maybe someday in a far far away feature. 

profile.country.PL.title
pero_85
Explorer

All, i've good news. Community is giving solution wherever mega-companies like Sony cant.

SmartYouTubeTV CAN play HDR youtube on Sony TV's and its a modified official application.

1.download SmartYouTubeTV from here: [removed link]
2.install on your tv
3. on the loader screen choose "4k Alt version" and check "update","autoframerate" and "remember"

launch the new youtube and enjoy! (tested succesfully on 55XE9005)