Join now - be part of our community!

Loss of UHD capability

SOLVED
alanxce

Loss of UHD capability

I have a 55X8509C connected to a CT780 Sound Bar fed by a Sky Q box. I used to be able to watch UHD broadcasts from Sky of Premier League games but something has changed and I can no longer do this. I  can however watch UHD broadcasts from Amazon Prime.

The cabling is SkyQ to CT780 to 8509C and I have checked to make sure the cables are of the right spec/quality.

Scenario is that I try to switch to a UHD game through the Sky tv guide and it tells me it needs to go through some kind of setup process which involves me me selecting the 2xxx option rather than 1080p. So off it gpoes, only to come back and tell me no UHD capable ouput screen is available. 

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong here? 

(Having seen similar problem in another post resolved by changing cables I have ordered 2 x IBRA from Amazon to try on delivery Saturday. These will replace those installed by Sky Q installers which you would think should work)

UPDATE: cables arrived, installed, no change. UGH!

UPDATE: ever feel like you are going round in circles?

I have it working:

1) HDMI cable direct from Sky Q box into HDMI IN 4 at rear of TV.

2) Optical cable from the TV to the CT780 for sound.

3) HDMI cable from HDMI IN 3 at rear of TV to the HDMI OUT ARC socket on the sound bar (could not get sound from sound bar without this).

Having got to this point I am left with two possible conclusions:

a) My sound bar has developed a fault and can no longer pass 4K UHD through.

b) The Sky Q box is faulty in such a way it will not recognise the TV via the sound bar but has no problem with a direct cable attachment. 

I have to say say that I am pretty tired of the whole affair and having got it working I would like to forget the name Sony for a while. But I guess my next step has to be reporting the sound bar as faulty and requesting a replacement. If that means me couriering boxes to and fro to the supplier of then its game over, I'll live with the current solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alanxce

Hi,

I am still running with it as described in my last post. I reported the problem to Sony as a faulty sound bar and they came back with the usual stuff which I have tried and it makes no difference. They also recommended if none of their suggestions worked I should take it to my local authorised repair centre which is interesting because I understood they don't repair sound bars, only replace. 

I am tempted to leave as is, it's working.

I do also have the picture judder which is pretty chronic and it's high time Sony fixed it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alanxce

Appolgies - I totally missed your post completely. Are you still having troubles or is everything OK now.

Cheers

alanxce

Hi,

I am still running with it as described in my last post. I reported the problem to Sony as a faulty sound bar and they came back with the usual stuff which I have tried and it makes no difference. They also recommended if none of their suggestions worked I should take it to my local authorised repair centre which is interesting because I understood they don't repair sound bars, only replace. 

I am tempted to leave as is, it's working.

I do also have the picture judder which is pretty chronic and it's high time Sony fixed it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - thanks for posting back.

In regards to the Juddering on Sky Q - I think a perminent fix is in the making, but I do not know when it will be rolled out or how its really progressing.