Join now - be part of our community!

Samba/NFS share as internal hdd for recording

pavlos.web
Explorer

Samba/NFS share as internal hdd for recording

Hello,

I have a very simple questing but I had no luck getting answers. I have a NAS storage I would like to use in my smart tv for recordings. Is that possible on Android TV? So far i had linux stb (dreambox) and I used my network share via smb or nfs instead of internal hdd. Seems samsung smart TVs have no such feature (if I dont mention hacking it or any other way how to brick it). So I am hoping sony have such feature,

Thx for the answer

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry - but need more information in regards to your intentions.  If you intend to record TV shows from the TVs tuner (i.e. Freeview) to a NAS drive, then this cannot be done.  You can only use a dedicated HDD connected to the correct USB port and then 'register' the HDD to the TV.  The registering process is basically to encrypt the HDD for recordings to be made. 

If you intend to use the NAS drive to playback video files - then this is fine and Kodi handles this well (IMHO).

Cheers

pavlos.web
Explorer

I plan to use if for storing recordings from TV tuner. So far I had few linux settopboxes and this is very simple feature. But my stb is getting old. When I buy so called smart tv I would like to use it same way as any linux stb would. I could buy a newer linux stb (i.e. dreambox) but seems to me a waste of money for almost same features. I feel like I am only one who has a shared home storage wanting to use it for recordings.

If it cannot mout a network share is there at least option to share TV's internal drive on LAN?  I just want to let TV record a show and then be able to play it for example on my computer. For the drembox this is a really piece of cake.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You are not the only one willing to do it, but it cannot be done simply because for reliability reason the TV requires a fast device connected directly to it and in any case all the recording are encrypted so you cannot read and share them anyway. You can use external app to share the internal content of the TV (Kodi can do it) but again it does not recognize and share the recording. I don't know any TV brand that can record over the network (unless you don't want to root it like with the Sammy project) and very few that may be able to share the internal recording via DLNA

pavlos.web
Explorer

That is what I was afraid of. I suppose I will have to go with a linux stb. Its recordings are not copy protected and offers same or even better funcionality as a smart TV. Thanks for the insights.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @pavlos.web

A little bit of extra info - no TV (or PVR) sold in the UK will be able to do what you want to do.  This is because it is a mandatory requirement (part of the Freeview HD specifications) that all Freeview HD channels are hardware encrypted.  SD channels does not need to be, however most manufacturers encrypt SD channels too anyhow.

See the attached PDF (page 3 - Heading : Copy rights and wrongs )

Cheers

pavlos.web
Explorer

I am not familiar with freeview UK. But I dont see a problem with encrypted channels. In my case I use dvb-s tuner in linux stb with decoding card. Most of the chnanels on sattelite are also encrypted. But if the dreambox is able to decode channel it can also record it. Output recording is simple mpeg playable on ony computer I have, smartphone or whatsoever. For me this is really cool feature. As I can watch it on computer when TV is in use. 

I think they dont allow this this because of possible piracy problem and again they discriminate decent users.