Join now - be part of our community!

samba.tv bundled with Android 7.0

adrianc02
Explorer

samba.tv bundled with Android 7.0

Android 7 is a big improvement in terms of responsive over 6 but does anyone know how to permantly decline the samba.tv application? I declined setting it up during upgrade but am being prompted to do so when going into the YouView TV guide after each time the TV has been turned on. I have tried stopping/disabling the application.

cheers

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
davwalke6
New

@adrianc02 wrote:

Android 7 is a big improvement in terms of responsive over 6 but does anyone know how to permantly decline the samba.tv application? I declined setting it up during upgrade but am being prompted to do so when going into the YouView TV guide after each time the TV has been turned on. I have tried stopping/disabling the application.

cheers

If you go into settings and apps you can select Samba and decline terms & conditions which effectively uninstalls the app.

profile.country.GB.title
rfwilmut
Explorer

I don't see a Terms and Conditions. I have disabled Samba, and turned off its notifications - but every time I switch the TV on I get the nag pop-up telling me to set up Samba. I absolutely refuse to do this: I didn't spend £1400 on a television to have it turned into a permanent shopping channel and I think it's disgraceful that Sony are trying to force this on their customers - it's reminiscent of Microsoft at their worst. I shall be taking this up with Support but I confidently expect that to have no effect whatever. In the meantime the only positive thing is I've noted that you can clear it with the exit button, which at least is just one press.

profile.country.GB.title
AnotherDisappointedUser
Explorer

There is no option for terms and conditions in Samba Interactive TV adware App. The settings in the app is rudimentary, at best. Even after Force Stop and Notifications OFF it returns at the bottom of the screen to ask if I want to install the adware. I dont want to install the adware app to be able to uninstall it! How do you stop it from constantly popping up?

This is disgusting, to be forced to install adware on the TV. I have to say that since my first purchase of a sony TV it will also be the last purchase of a Sony TV. The whole user interface is the worst I have ever seen. I would rather read a book!

Samba Interactive TV, once installed, stops other streaming services from running.

profile.country.GB.title
chrismacp
Explorer

This an absolute disgrace! Sony what the hell are you playing at? Will be the last product I buy from you, unless the samba install nag screen is removed. I have no desire to install this.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I'd really love to know who is in charge over at Sony. They misinform people about the hardware capabilities, they remove the most useful functionality from the SideView app and instead you get bloat- and ad-/malware. Severe bugs that have been known for months and even years don't get fixed. What is this all about?

One can't seriously recommend Sony TVs nowadays.

profile.country.GB.title
DucatiIan
New

Not sure if helps others but I also noticed three or four services under I for interactive TV then the specifics of that service. I force stopped these and removed their notifications. It reminded me how much I hate Android when I bought this TV, just wish Apple did an OS that Sony could use.

profile.country.GB.title
DucatiIan
New

The really annoying thing about this is that it feels like you have to fight Android everyday trying to stop what appears to be bug ridden ad ridden bloat ware being installed everyday. Someone who's not a developer or sys ad must be just so sick of the way Android runs riot on their TV it's truest shockingly bad, embarrassingly bad.

profile.country.GB.title
rfwilmut
Explorer

I've just been on the phone with Support who walked me through the following procedure:

1. If you had disabled Samba in settings, re-enable it.

2. Reboot the TV. Wait for the pop-up to appear.

3. Press the button to set up Samba.

4. In the setup pane which opens press 'Nerxt' then select the link to privacy / Terms & Conditions (I'm doing this from memory so the wording may be approximate but it's pretty obvious).

5. In the next pane choose Disagree and Disable.

6. Confirm this in the next pane.

That appears (on one restart) to have done it (and it didn't change any settings). If the pane re-emerges I'll post back. I still think that there should be a choice in the initial pop-up to disable it permanently without all this performance.

profile.country.GB.title
iaboard40

Ok ?.......so far what I have read is that you can't stop the pop up if you don't install the app. Let me ask a silly question that someone might be able to answer. If I install it what effect will I see. I have a KD-55XE9305. All I do is watch TV on it via a Humax PVR and I log onto and watch Netflix via an Ethernet cable. Once installed what what effect if any will I notice. I don't care if it's snooping on what I watch. What I care about is if I get bombarded with messages. Will messages appear whilst I'm watching Netflix for example. Or even worse will I get interrupted whilst watching TV via the PVR. I've just spent 6 months of my life in daily contact with Sony about the XD9305 being faulty from new and they have replaced the XD with another XD which also died and now I have an XE as a free replacement.......and there was me thinking everything was OK.........so if anyone knows how installing the app will effect my set of circumstances I would be grateful. Cheers guys and girls Ian B