Join now - be part of our community!

Since the 3.925 update my XD93 restarts after waking from standby

profile.country.NL.title
Flashlab2

Since the 3.925 update my XD93 restarts after waking from standby

Since the 3.925 update my XD93 restarts after waking from standby. It wakes, sometimes to a grey screen, sometimes to the home screen, there's no sound and then restarts itself.

I have tried multiple factory resets but this problem keeps happening. 3.885 was ok in this regard.

Is there any setting that can cause this behaviour?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Flashlab2,

Sorry to read that you’re having this issue with your XD93. As you have already tried multiple factory resets without a resolution, I'd recommend contacting support about this.

Thanks,
Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
Masykram
Explorer

I'm getting excatly the same. And It seems to have got worse ( or I'm noticing it more because I've been off so watched more TV ). Had the problem for a couple of weeks now.  Would be interesting in what response you got from support. 

I'm actually very disappointed with this TV. Had it since Nov 2016 and the original Android TV was shocking, buggy and a pain to use... Then the Power board went about four months ago which was a known manufacturing error, now it's either got an intermittent hardware fault ( new power board again ? ) or a badly tested software update.

For info, it happens regarldess of the input used, the resolution, etc... and a LONG time unplugged from the mains didnt work. Time to raise a call with support.

profile.country.NL.title
Flashlab2

I never contacted Support as it seems useless judging from the results here on the forum. I trust fellow users more than the hired clueless help. Anyway what fixed it for me is to turn on Remote start in the network settings. This consumes more power in standby but that bothers me less than the constant restarting.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I can actually reproduce your behavior.

The whole standby behavior on those TVs is a total mess. When there is a network connection present, the processor inside the TV wakes up about every 3-5 Minutes with certain apps/services contacting some servers (see bug #8 in my Sony ATV bug tracker). It then consumes 20W for a short period of time. Sometimes, the TV reboots at such a wakeup (see #9).

When you now disable WiFi and unplug the LAN cable, those wakeups become less. The problem now is that the forced reboot seems to happen when you manually turn on the TV.

So those frequent wakeups in standby also seem to have a "cleaning effect".

'Remote start' might also dramatically change the standby behavior, see bug #70.

So question is, do you use any sort of network connection on your TVs?

profile.country.NL.title
Flashlab2

I have WiFi turned off but do use a wired connection. I can tell if my TV has rebooted by looking at the recommendations because it doesn't show SPMC recommendations until you start the SPMC app after each reboot.

I can have my TV running for days and it still has the SPMC recommendations so it doesn't reboot every day.

Problem is that I now have Remote Start turned on and have higher power consumption. In 3.885 I could have Remote Start off and didn't have the reboot after wake issue. For now I'm ok with having Remote Start on as I find the reboots more annoying. Let's see if Nougat will fix this...

profile.country.GB.title
Masykram
Explorer

Do you find yours is a random restart, but happening regularly ? That's what's happening with mine. I did wonder if it was heat related since it seems to take a while to happen ( over 20 minutes ) when first woken up from standby... Then it happens randomly but regularly. Several times during an average movie for example.

It might be a slightly different problem, but I logged a call with Support and they seem to be saying it's a known error that their engineers are looking into. If it's not the same, I'll open a new thread with this info so others can find it easily.

I've pasted the email and my responses back to them below ( note the bolded part, my bolding ) :-

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX

We are sorry to learn that the TV restarts itself during use.

In attempt to resolve the issue, please follow the below: 

- Unplug TV from mains and plug it back in after 2 minutes – Tried this, does not solve.

If the above does not help, try turning off <Update Guide in standby> setting

Go to: HOME - Settings - Digital Setup - Guide setup - Update Guide in standby - OFF. - Done

Moreover, If the TV is connected to the internet via a LAN cable, please use Wi-Fi instead. – I have always had problems with wired Network into my BT Infinity hub. It seems to lose the connection constantly so I have left it unplugged at the HUB end and been using WiFi constantly.

Furthermore, please note that we do acknowledge this issue and that it is still under investigation and our engineers are working on identifying the root cause as soon as possible.

Please provide the below information to allow further investigations:

Q1. When has the issue started to occur? – Maybe two weeks ago

Q2. How often does the reboot issue occur? – Roughly every 20 to 30 minutes. There doesn’t seem to be an easily predictable patter ( i.e. doesn’t look heat related, taking a long time before the first then shorter times thereafter )

Q3. What were you doing with the TV (Channel change, power on, connecting to network, etc.) when the reboot issue (last) occurred? Had been watching Youtube, but returned to the home screen. Left it there for a couple of minutes and it rebooted

Q4. If the reboot occurred while watching TV, what kind of content was on? It has occurred whilst watching Sky TV on HDMI 1, Youtube, Amazon, Neflix ( all from the apps ), when on the home screen. With HD or UHD content.

Q5. Did you notice a slow response from the remote control just before the reboot occurred? No

Q6. What devices are connected to the TV? Sky Q box on HDMI 1, Xbox One on HDMI 2, LAN cable in the RJ45 port, but not connected at the Hub end.

Q7. Do you use a CAM card? No

Q8. How does your TV receive the signal? Terrestrial through the communal aerial, Sky Q through sky box connected to communal feed.

Q9. How does the TV connect to the Internet? WiFi though wired connection has never been reliable since purchase in Nov 2016.

Q10. Which non pre-installed apps have been downloaded on the TV? Plex

You may check the below link for software updates or announcements related to your TV:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xd93xx_x93xxd_xd94xx_x94xxd-series/kd-55x...

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Menna

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

profile.country.GB.title
Masykram
Explorer

A quick update on a workaround I found for these reboots. 

I switched off WiFi in the network settings so the TV is no longer connected to a network and the reboots have stopped. Not ideal, since I can no longet stream 4KI content from Netflix, Amazon and Youtube, but I can at least use the xbox to watch them. 

Still pretty disgusted with the lack of quality and overall experience... I could have spent a third of the amount, bought an LG and gone on holiday instead.

Lets ee how long it takes to get a fix for it.