Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 65XD9305 Youtube HDR

Beast535
Explorer

Sony 65XD9305 Youtube HDR

Am I right in understanding that the XD93 that I bough just over a month ago for £2000 will not be supporting Youtube HDR, but the cheaper ones will? 

If that is the case that this will be the last time I buy a Sony TV, I dont expect a TV costing that amount to be out of date so quickly, thats the whole reason I spent more so it at least has some future proofing. 

There is also no excuse for this as I have read that before the 2016 TV's were released they said the 2016 range would support VP9 Version 2, so they cant come with the excuse they didnt know about this codec. I realise technology moves on quickly, however they knew about this coming so why they wouldnt put it on the XD93/XD94 top end TVS i do not know. I would expect this from lower end TV's.

Wish I had bought a samsung now, ALL of their 2016 tvs are getting support. Can see me taking it back if this turns out to be true.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I detailed that in my review. Indeed a big no-go.

Beast535
Explorer

Has this issue been raised with Sony? as this is clearly a case of blatant mis selling. Again If they were not aware of it coming, or they did not state they were putting this in then they wouldnt be in the wrong but they clearly are.

I can see me putting in a formal complaint.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony clearly tried to keep it covered up. But they finally had to confirm that those models won't get YouTube HDR support. No comment on why they had to put the BRAVIA 2015 platform (with the old MediaTek SoC) on the early 2016 models though.

Press info at CES 2017:

It was also confirmed that YouTube HDR is coming to all 2017 4K/HDR models. In addition, Sony will release an update to TVs launched in fall 2016, meaning Z9D (ZD9), XD83, SD80, X80D (XD80), X75D (XD75), and X70D (XD70). The update will not be made available on TVs launched in spring 2016. At last year’s CES show, Sony promised that it would, but the company ended up using another MediaTek SoC than originally planned. To support YouTube HDR a TV needs to feature hardware support for VP9 Profile 2.