Join now - be part of our community!

When will the upgrade to Android TV 6.0 or higher be available

Porkins
New

When will the upgrade to Android TV 6.0 or higher be available

So Ihave just bought a Sony XD85 and was surprised to find it was running Android TV 5.1.1; I at least expected 6.0. As there are significant performance and feature enhancements in these later versions of Anroid TV when will we see them for the 2016 and 2015 TV's?

Come on Sony it not 2015 anymore!

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sony has not released an ETA on when Marshmallow will be rolled out to 2015 and early 2016 TV models.  However it will happen, just dont know when.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Loofah

Weird, I have the XD83 and it looks to be running version 6.01

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

XD70/XD75 and XD80/XD83 are the summer releases (from July) which are based on the BRAVIA ATV2 platform featuring a new processor. XD85/XD93/XD94 have been released in spring (March, so only 3-4 months earlier) and are based on last year's BRAVIA 2015 platform. Android 6 Marshmallow is currently only available for BRAVIA ATV2. Total mismanagement...

profile.country.GB.title
Loofah

True to Sony performance levels then

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Android 6 was officially released 14 months ago today!

Sony still haven't given us a date when an OS update will be available. A £1000 TV (at time of purchase), has less updates than most no-name cheap Android phones and tablets I have purchased from the far east. 

Absolutely abysmal support. 

profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

They definetly seem to be focusing their efforts elsewhere. I have a Sony Xperia X phone and I have a Sony Test version of Nougat on it via Sony Concept Program and My old Z2 even has Marshmallow. I wouldnt be surprised if we dont see it on the 2015 TV's .

KDL-43W805

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

That's the thing I don't understand. When I had an Xperia Z Ultra, Sony were one of the quickest 3rd party manufacturers to release new OS for their phones and tablets, even for 3 or 4 year old models like you said.

They even had a great website that would officially give you the bootloader unlock code for your device without jumping through hoops. 

As Android is open source, I thought it was compulsory for Sony to release their OS image. If they did that and unlocked the bootloader, we could do the job for them. 

profile.country.ES.title
kaplox

Exactly, I also don't understand what's happening...we need answers...

profile.country.GB.title
Loofah

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Sony