Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube 4k hdr on kd65xf90

profile.country.GB.title
Pete0001

YouTube 4k hdr on kd65xf90

Has anyone else got a problem playing 4k hdr on youtube? My tv will play the video but the screen goes black and I continue to get sound? Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It should play those videos, but only as 4K SDR (VP9) as the YouTube Android TV app still does not select the VP9.2 streams. YouTube HDR (VP9.2) is supported via Chromecast. The TV however selects the wrong BT.709 color space. BT.2020 can however be manually selected via advanced picture settings.

Check The World in HDR.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

There is also the Smart YouTube TV App (which you have to sideload) which plays the VP9.2 HDR streams, but just like with Chromecast at the wrong color space.

profile.country.GB.title
Pete0001

Changed a couple of settings on tv seems to be working now??? Could be a coincidence!

How do you change colour space to bt2020?

profile.country.GB.title
Pete0001

Well next video just done the same plays for about 30secs then black screen. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

How do you change colour space to bt2020?

picture settings > advanced picture settings > video options (or similar, dunno by heart)

profile.country.GB.title
Pete0001

Changed the colour space and colours are much better but doesn't stop my problem of going to black screen on 4k videos. What I've noticed is it only plays 4k video at 1440p he unless I go into settings and manually change the video quality to 4k from hd? Surely it should do this automatic?