Join now - be part of our community!

Youview and KD65XF8796BU

profile.country.GB.title
mikeahope
Explorer

Youview and KD65XF8796BU

I have just purchased my on Sony Bravia 

KD65XF8796BU

Generally everything seems to be fine. Be anoyored to find I can not use ITV or Channel 4 playback. The only issue I have is that youview will not work for playback for channel 4 and ITV as I can not turn it because I have not got cable or a Tv areial as I use Freesat but I though the playback option actually uses the internet only

I had a freeview box previosly and found the play back options worked fine without an ariel. Any Ideeas? Or is it possible to download the Android App for ITV Hub or Channel 4

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Hopefully a community member will be able to help.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@mikeahope wrote:

I have just purchased my on Sony Bravia 

KD65XF8796BU

Generally everything seems to be fine. Be anoyored to find I can not use ITV or Channel 4 playback. The only issue I have is that youview will not work for playback for channel 4 and ITV as I can not turn it because I have not got cable or a Tv areial as I use Freesat but I though the playback option actually uses the internet only

I had a freeview box previosly and found the play back options worked fine without an ariel. Any Ideeas? Or is it possible to download the Android App for ITV Hub or Channel 4

You can only download AndroidTV apps, and you will not find the itv Hub or All4 among these.

As you have discovered, you have to have tuned in the terrestrial channels 3 and 4 for these Players to work, as they use the region thus revealed to target ads at you.

But it is only necessary to have tuned these channels; there is no need to keep an aerial connected after that. So you may be able to use a room aerial for a single shot at tuning, after which these Players will work for you.

I presume by Freesat, you mean you have a proper, separate, Freesat box you use with the TV, so you can still use it set to YouView?

Though if you are using the term loosely, to refer to the non-Freesat satellite channels on the Sony TV then you will, last I heard, have to move to the Freeview side, and these Players will then stop working. If this is the case, Google ‘Hoshsadiq’ for the workaround. (Which still needs the terrestrial channels to have been tuned in, though).

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Mike,

Royabrown2 is right. You'll need to use an aerial to tune at least once and then you can get Youview to work properly including ITV and All4. However, keep in mind that if you're tuning the freesat channels using the TV's tuner, enabling Youview will disable these channels. Here's a link to an article on the Sony support website that has all the info you might need https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00129097 .

All the best,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Nice link, @Tenneen9000 

But can we please all be a bit more precise about the term ‘Freesat’? This refers to a particular licensed EPG, with assigned channel numbers and full forward programme details for 7 days, and this isn’t present on these Sony sets.

They do indeed have a satellite tuner, but it doesn’t use the Freesat channel numbers, and only comes with Now & Next by way of an EPG. And many of the channels aren’t free anyway.

Retailers of these Sony TVs are careful to avoid using the term ‘Freesat’, or even of letting potential buyers use it uncorrected - and those that weren’t, initially, had to accept returns over this.

And we must take similar care when posting on the Community to avoid any :broken_heart::slight_smile:

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi royabrown2,

Duly noted :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Tenneen9000