Join now - be part of our community!

Gmail Account Hacked

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmail Account Hacked

So..  Yesterday my Gmail account was hacked.

Anyway, I was checking my emails yesterday and I got an automated email in my inbox about a recovery password email address being added.  Which I did not ask for. 

Upon looking at my recent activity, I discovered that someone has been in my account, and Gmail provided the IP address.  A quick Whois search gives a Hosting Company called UK2.NET, located in the UK.  I sent an abuse report into UK2 with a demand that they investigate and immediately terminate the account of this person.  As of writing - No response.

Gmail Account - Hacked.jpg

I then changed my password, changed the recovery email address, and changed my password yet again to a stronger one.

Anyway, a couple of hours later, I was going through my Trash area, and discovered a purchase made via Google Wallet of £12.00.  Finding the contact details of Google is pretty hard by the way, but possible.  I sent them an email, and got an auto-response back.  Not happy with this, I phoned them up in their US call centre.  Got a human being on the other end straight away.  Anyway, I told them of the situation and the un-authorised purchase.  They have filed a report for their investigation, and will re-imberse me of that £12.00 within 1-2 business days.  So all credit to Google on that one.  Well done.

Subsequently I have deleted my google wallet details (I did not enable the 2 step verification), and changed my password again for the 3rd time :slight_smile:

So the lesson here is to be vigillant.

On a more positive note, I won on 2 lines on the Euro (2+1 and 2)  :slight_smile:

Anyway, thats my story for the day.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Sorry that happened to you Quinnicus. :cry:

Thanks for posting though, reminds us all to be vigilant. :wink:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sure thats a dig at me for speeeling "vigilant" wrong <grin>

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Lol sadly not :tongue:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah, sadly some people look for accounts to hack, and hope to hit gold with a Google Wallet. Thankfully it was no more than £12, and they are settling it for you. It just shows you now that you have to set very strong passwords or people will enter at will. I just hope they have not published anything on the net.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I provided some additional information to Google on Saturday.  On the 19 August two additional payment of £12 was taken out, which Google immediately cancelled.

-----------------------

Your purchase has been cancelled. You won't be charged.
Aug 19 »
Google has cancelled this purchase.
Comments from Google: We were unable to process your order.

-----------------------

I did NOT have any notification on these two un-authorised purchases, and did not even receive a notification email that this was cancelled.  Something is very fishy going on - because it was Google that cancelled these two payments.  So they must have detected something somewhere along the lines.  Maybe multiple purchases from multiple accounts.

Anyway, Google emailed me back saying that it is conducting a full investigation on this matter.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

well thats reassuring :dizzy:

Just kidding - glad they're trying to get to the bottom of it.