Join now - be part of our community!

My old Samsung TV is able to play MKV video through network and my 2017 Sony XE7077 cant? Very lame!

profile.country.HU.title
Onderon
New

My old Samsung TV is able to play MKV video through network and my 2017 Sony XE7077 cant? Very lame!

So I would like to play MKV video files from my NAS through my network on my Sony KD-49XE7077 TV but its recognizing them as MP4 files and cannot play them. Not just cannot play them, it totally kills the TV, freezing it that bad the only thing I can do is to unplug it from the electricity and replug it to restart. Funny thing is, that it can play MKV from USB but not from network. My old 2013 Samsung TV plays these videos through the network, on WIFI without any hustle. Actually I find my old Samsung TV is a lot smarter than my Sony, which I think is very lame. 

Where can I report this or suggest it so they might make this happen in a later Firmware update?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Onderon,

Before buying a TV or any type of electronics for that matter, try listing the features that matter most to you prior to looking for any model or brand. Make sure that you research the availability of the features that matter to you most on the particular model and brands you might be considering. This always avoids disappointments on the hindsight.

Your TV runs on Linux as opposed to Android. On the Google PlayStore there are a number of apps that can be a solution for an Android TV. However I am not sure if the Opera App Store on your TV does also offer the equivalent apps (e.g. MX Player, VLC). If you can't find any useful apps, then probably the best way to move forward is to install a DLNA Media Server (e.g. PS3 Media Server, PLEX, Twonky) on a device connected to your home network in order for the TV to access and play your videos through the network.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.HU.title
Onderon
New

My old 2013 Samsung TV is not running on Android yet it is still able to play MKV thorugh the network without any problems. I wouldnt think that I should specifically search for a feature that is so basic, that even my old Samsung TV has, it was totally obvious for me, that a 2017 Sony TV should know that too. Yes you are right, I was wrong. It is still a shame for Sony. I feel bad that i spend money on such a dumb TV. #nomoresonyever