Audio Sync Issues

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Audio Sync Issues

My equipment:

Sony A95L 55"

Sony HT-A5000

Panasonic DP-UB820

The soundbar arrived yesterday but I am experiencing audio sync issues.

I have the Panasonic 4k player connected to the HDMI in of the soundbar.

Advice would be appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Blumine1818 

Try:-

https://help.panasonic.ca/viewing/ALL/DP-UB820P/OI/TQBS0258/TQBS0258.pdf

Audio Delay, page 31.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Hi thanks for this.

I am somewhat concerned that I have adjusted the player's audio delay twice today.

Once when playing a 4k disc, the other when playing a bluray.

I was surprised that the 5000 soundbar doesn't have an audio delay function.

I'm toying with connecting the bluray player to the TV instead of to the soundbar.

In your experience, will this make a difference?

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

I have a slightly different model of Sony TV to you but perhaps you could have a look to see if there is an AV Sync setting as there is on my TV.

Path to the AV Sync setting on my TV is,

Settings (remote control)> Settings (on-screen)>Display & Sound> Audio Output. A/V Sync> Auto

If your TV has this setting you could try the different options to see if it makes a difference to your experience. 

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Thank you.

It is currently set to auto so if I have further issues I'll change the settings. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Blumine1818 

That’s a two-pronged question.

Firstly, regarding the sync; at present, the video and audio are going to the soundbar, and the soundbar is passing the video to the TV to process. You don’t say which way round the sync issues go, but I’m presuming the video is lagging the audio; is that correct? There’s certainly a ‘double dip’ on the video which has to go through two lots of processing,

And does 4K lag worse than HD (ordinary BluRay)? So you have to adjust the Audio Delay to different values for each.

So yes I’d expect plugging the UHD player into the TV to make a difference, because there’s just a ‘single dip’ on the video that way, and the ‘double dip’ on the audio as it goes down the eARC cable to the soundbar is less critical.

But I don’t know how much difference, because we don’t know where your sync issues are coming from.

Certainly, I run my UHD player through my LG GX soundbar and into the TV that way - the setup you are having sync issues with, though mine works fine that way, so it’s not a generic thing.

But I have to do that, because the LG GX TV doesn’t support DTS-X, won’t even pass it through, but the GX soundbar does handle it. And if I plug the UHD player into the TV (an easy swap, as I have cables running to the UHD player for either) you can really hear how inferior the sound is when I play a disc mastered in DTS-X, and the TV has to settle for a lesser standard audio track on the disc. Though Dolby Atmos discs are fine either way, with no discernible difference.

So this is the second prong; plugging the UHD player into the TV would give me inferior sound,

But this isn’t something that you have to worry about; unlike mine, your TV will do both Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, and pass it to the soundbar over lossless eARC.

So whether you plug the UHD player into your TV or your soundbar becomes a matter of personal choice; and if it stops the sync issues, you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose. So try it, and see what happens,

@daveyh64 ‘s comment about adjusting the audio delay on the TV setting wouldn’t have applied with the UHD player plugged into the soundbar, as no audio ever reached the TV, but it will apply now. However, it may affect all the audio on the TV, putting stuff that is currently in sync out of sync, so best to restrict changes to the setting on the UHD player.

But with luck, the sound and video will be in sync when the TV input is used, and so it won’t be needed.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…