Join now - be part of our community!

BBC Iplayer not working on my BDP S480 blu ray

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pattierb
New

BBC Iplayer not working on my BDP S480 blu ray

I have had this for less than a week and everything else seems to be perfect but even though iplayer is listed and i can navigate to the channels screen it will not go any further.  Is there anything i can do about this as i really wanted this option on the player and am feeling more than a little cheated.  Bought from Freemans catalogue this week and have checked the firmware and it is up to date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lancman21
Visitor

Just turned my s480 on and was advised that a new software update was available. Did the update and......Bingo! i-player now works. So it looks as if the issues have finally been resolved. :smileygrin:

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
ajh635
Visitor

It seems I have the same problem.  I bought the player about 10 days ago and everything on it works perfectly except the BBC iPlayer which either shows an error or freezes when you try to watch a program.

Dodsyuk
Visitor

Seems to be a problem with all Sony devices. My Sony TV has been fine for a year but about a week ago iplayer just stopped working. I also have a brand new Sony surround system , iplayer worked ok for a few weeks but now also will not work.

No idea why , it must be an incompatibility between iplayer and Sony devices. iplayer works fine on my PC and on my iphonbe using the same network so its definately a Sony problem.

Google throws up a number of other people with the same issue, so it is supposed to work but doesnt (any more)

MikeyParr
Visitor

I am having the same problem with my S480. It had been working perfectly for 6 months and I am going to have to try to get Sony to fix it. Judged by my previous skirmishes with Sony support this will be an uphill struggle.

For you guys who are still in the "return for a full refund" stage, if iPlayer is an important feature for you, you might consider requesting a refund and then buying one from another manufacturer. Difficult decision as these players are really good, and with a great iPlayer, until a couple of weeks ago.

Message was edited by: MikeyParr

Message was edited by: MikeyParr

Batfinkk

There is seemingly a problem at the BBC end, was posted in another thread...

MikeyParr
Visitor

Yes, it is something that the Beeb has done recently. Whether it's their fault or Sony's is impossible to tell.

In any event I contacted the BBC first, but they just played "pass the parcel" and blamed Sony.

sprocketman
Visitor

I have the same problem with my S480.  Just bought it a few days ago and can't get iplayer to work.  Here's an interesting thing:

- On the S480 youtube, Eurosport, livestrong.com etc work fine and streams without stopping or stuttering

- But iplayer is unusable.  Completely unusable.  Takes about 3-4 mins to start a program and then buffers every 30 secs and takes minutes to buffer.

However,

My Panasonic TV streams youtube AND iplayer beautifully.  I watched a whole episode of Call the midwife on iplayer without a single stutter.  I have a suspicion that the Panasonic TV connects to iplayer differently to the Sony.  It's only a hunch because the iplayer interface is very slightly different between the two (this after you are into iplayer and starting the program).

I am on O2 (Allrounder package) with the O2 wireless box IV router (Thomson TG587n v2).  There have been old posts elsewhere that have suspected O2/Be ISP and possibly also the router but my Panasonic works fine.

My line shows 11M download speed, 1M upload speed and 19ms ping time.

Unfortunately Sony support have "escalated my case to second level" and after doing that I've heard nothing from them for two days.  I have chased them but the usual scripted reply of your case is in a queue ...

Also get this:

I have a friend who lives about 50 miles up the M1 from me and his Sony Blu rays stream iplayer fine.  

Message was edited by: sprocketman

Message was edited by: sprocketman

Catmambo
Contributor

I'm up at the BBC today, so let me check and find out whats happening as something isn't right here..

Thanks

tom.74
Explorer

Hi All :slight_smile:

My problem is that my Sony KDL 46W5810 gets error "This Content doesn't seem to be working. Try again later

I have 46W5810 with freesat hd

im on virgin broadband , around 7mb download adsl sefvice

bbc iplayer works fine on laptop and ps3

this was working ok before on 2mb, max 4mb ,  tiscali broadband

i have done full tv reset

i have latest tv firmware

i have refreshed my network settings numerous times

i do access bbc iplayer by pressing red button on bbc channel

then i  can see program list and some description of the program, at the same time i can see netowrk activity on the network port where my tv is connected

once trying to play it i have above error

the bbc iplayer list constantyly update itsels once new programs there

i can play hd movies from PS3 Media Server from my laptop on that tv

is there anything else what I can do...please advise

Catmambo
Contributor

Just a small update - flagged it with them today so will hopefully get a reply tomorrow. Will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Thanks