Join now - be part of our community!

BDP S790 volume levels

profile.country.en_GB.title
gooeynote
Visitor

BDP S790 volume levels

Bought this blu ray player and have set it up with a Sony HX853 tv via hdmi.  I currently have no amp in the set up so the sound is only though the TV speakers.

If I run a DVD disc the sound is approximately the same as terrestrial tv but when running a blu ray disc then the sound is about half the volume,  Do I have a faulty machine, is it set up incorrectly or is it perfectly normal?

Message was edited by: gooeynote

3 REPLIES 3
Bravia55HX

Hi,

it is highly unlikely to be a faulty player, my 570 which is due to be replaced with the excellent 790 is the same however having said that i use my Amp rather than the tv !, you can of coarse re check sound settings on the player and while your at it look for a function called volume offset and move it up a couple of notches and try that, its been a while since i looked at this but if you have not sussed it by the time i get my new one i'll look into it again with you.

gooeynote
Visitor

Just to be clear, you are saying that your s570 has this same issue as my s790?

I couldn't find the volume offset on the player but on my TV I did. I turned it down a notch or two but all that did was lower the volume even more including terrestrial broadcasts!  Of course doing the opposite increases the volumes but again the volume difference between terrestrial and disc is still the same.

Could you run me through where the volume offset is on the blu ray player since I can't find it? Otherwise maybe its something else I need to try?

Bravia55HX

Hi,

i apologize, it seems i used it on my old tv for some reason! ( had an LG before) and yes the offset is on the tv not the player, (sorry), i tried it on my Sony but it turned the volume up on the tv so thats not right, however i just ran  test using tv speakers since i told you i never play movies without the home cinema kit and lo and behold its the same as you said.

DVD is fine, round the same volume as terrestrial tv but BluRay you gotta turn it up at least another 10 to get it anywhere near the same.

so to conclude yes that makes the players the same, i dare say it will be the same when i get the 790, i even tried changing the downmix from surround to stereo and it did'nt do anything.

all that leaves now is room for a home cinema kit, i know its not cheap but you wont look back, other than that all you can do is crank up the volume on the tv, as long as you remember to turn it back down after the movie has finished or you will get a surprise!.