Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N590 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1

SOLVED
andipavel
Explorer

BDV-N590 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1

I recently noticed that although the specs for the BDV-N590 system mention that it does not decode DTS Discrete 6.1, when I played a movie that contained a DTS Discrete 6.1 track, the system played the track (when pressing the "Display" button on the remote (which displays info on the screen), it informed me that it was really playing DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 audio)

This is really great and a real surprise, now I'm just curios if this was a later added feature following an update. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately we'll never know if a FW update added DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 support to the N590.  Think of it as a bonus.

However I did find the following and considering that the N590 already supported DTS-ES Matrix 6.1:

DTS-ES.jpg

Cheers

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, and yet the support page : HERE says:

DTS-ES02.jpg

From all this, I would say that it may have been added, and that the manual is out-of-date, considering that you can "display" DTS-ES Discrete... on the system.

Either way, bonus :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately we'll never know if a FW update added DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 support to the N590.  Think of it as a bonus.

However I did find the following and considering that the N590 already supported DTS-ES Matrix 6.1:

DTS-ES.jpg

Cheers

andipavel
Explorer

Hi1

Well, this is strange, because the user manual I have says that N590 doesn't support Matrix 6.1 either...n590.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, and yet the support page : HERE says:

DTS-ES02.jpg

From all this, I would say that it may have been added, and that the manual is out-of-date, considering that you can "display" DTS-ES Discrete... on the system.

Either way, bonus :slight_smile:

andipavel
Explorer

I was thinking the same, that the manual could be out of date.

Anyway, this is quite a bonus and a nice surprise. I was playing Lord of the Rings and right when the movie started the system flashed DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 on the screen and I couldn't believe my eyes. I pressed Display on the remote again and yes, it was right there, it confirmed that the system was indeed decoding the Discrete 6.1 track.

Great :slight_smile:

Ok, thank you for your help :slight_smile: