Join now - be part of our community!

Digital TV Switchover - older model problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
RogerNewcastle
Visitor

Digital TV Switchover - older model problems

Sorry to post this in this section, but I can't see an appropriate one to post in!

I have a Sony KV-32DX30U digital TV . . . . we had our Digital Switchover here this week, and the TV can no longer find any stations on an Auto Tune.

I tried talking to the Sony Helpdesk, but they said the TV was no longer compatible, and did not offer any Software  upgrade to fix the problem!

I actually discovered that if you do a MANUAL tune, the TV works fine!  This is quite tedious as you have to go through each Channel Number on your TV and allocate a station to it, one by one. You also need to know which Broadcast Channel each TV station is on, for example all the BBC stations are Broadcast on Channel 58, so you tell the TV to find Channel 58, then it gives a list of all the digital stations on Channel 58's multiplex - you scroll down and pick the station you want on that TV Channel (eg BBC2 on Channel 2) . . . . and so on, channel by channel!  (I had to use another digibox to write down a list of all the stations and what TV Channel they are normally assigned to)

Having done this, the TV then works fine - the only difference is that the Banner across the top (with station and programme name) seems to stay about twice as long, so makes channel hopping a little slower.

I wondered what had changed to cause this problem, and eventually someone at Digital UK told me that they used the Switchover to also up the information data rate from 2k to 8k, which is why some older TVs have problems.

I couldn't find ANY of this information online, so this may help other owners of older Sony Digital TVs to get them working again without an external digibox!

Let me know if this has also worked for you

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Catmambo
Contributor

Useful post - thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Bravia55HX

useful post as may be, however Sony should have been a little more clued up on this but it seems these days the answer is if it cant be fixed with a software update then it cant be fixed at all!

Catmambo
Contributor

Don't forget the 'Split Nit' issue was an industry wide standards problem as opposed to a fixable software glitch....

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/21057/For_website_2K_only_models_ex_volumes_r...