Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Digital decoding sound glitches on the SVR-HDT500

profile.country.en_GB.title
spoksony
Visitor

Dolby Digital decoding sound glitches on the SVR-HDT500

Recently bought the SVR-HDT500 and we are getting sound glitches (like the old dropout you got on reel to reel with dirty heads) particulary on Channel 4HD films and some American programmes like 'Desperate Housewives'. It is a problem with any material transmitted in Dolby Digital 5.1. All other material is fine. We do not have any external Dolby Digital equipment and just listen in stereo. I took the machine back to John Lewis and exchanged it for a new one, just in case there was a fault, but the new one does exactly the same. The sound live through the TV's tuner is perfect.

Does anyone else notice this problem? I have tried it with the Dolby Digital option in the HDT500's menu both on and off but it makes no difference. This seems to be an inherent problem of the machine with the decoding of Dolby Digital material to be output as stereo and it ruins the viewing of most Ch4 HD films. Could it be fixed with a software update. We are on the latest (...8585) software, which it came with. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Spok.

5 REPLIES 5
spoksony
Visitor

Can anyone who has this machine, either 500GB or 1000GB version, just give a quick response to say whether or not they are experiencing the same sound problems as me (see post above).

Thanks,

Spok.

josimps44
Visitor

I have the same problem, but not restricted to films. Later with jools Holland in HD has a clipped sound, kind of bubbly as if something is limiting the volume quickly.

I have the SVR HDT1000 the HD piccture is stunning but the overall performance is poor, it regularly "loses" the HD channels, usually when I've set it to record something, so I dont get recordings.

Thinkwider
Visitor

I also have this problem, and it's ruining my enjoyment of many HD programmes - I believe it's related to incorrect transcoding from Dolby 5.1 audio to non-Dolby sound and is hence related to (HD) programme material - Jools Holland's programme is 5.1 coded, as are a number of feature films and the recent 'Parade's End'. Any news of when Sony will fix this ?

profile.country.GB.title
danharvs
Explorer

It sounds exactly like the issue I'm having. When you play back anything recorded from HD channels, or even Film4 standard, the sound keep dropping in and out. When there isn't any dialogue or music the background sound is loud until a noise or talking interrupts in then it goes back to normal. This is really annoying as it's hard to tune out of. Asked Sony and they said about updating to latest firmware. Haven't tried that yet. Did you find a solution?

Dan
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately the latest update is from 2011.  As far as I am aware, no new updates are planned for these recorders.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/sony-svrhdt500-hdt1000-firmware-update-v8...

I have one too (the 500b) but these days rarely use it.  :slight_smile:

Cheers