Join now - be part of our community!

Receiver STR-DA1200ES - HDMI-in port - a question

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
thonyman
New

Receiver STR-DA1200ES - HDMI-in port - a question

This receiver is around 10 years old.

My old Sony Bravia TV was connected to it via analogue RCA\R-L cables.

My new TCL TV has no analogue audio out - only 'SPDIF' (but no co-ax) and 'HDMI ARC'. (Actual port labelling).

The receiver has an several optical ports of the SPDIF\TOSLINK type. One is labeled 'TV IN'.

It also has several HDMI ports. One is marked 'TV IN'.

Question: Is it likely that the receiver's HDMI port labeled 'TV IN' has the ARC function? In which case, could I connect the TV to that?

If not, I guess I can always use try the SPDIF connection, but the distance is, I feel, uppish at 5m.

So I'd rather use the HDMI method if it's workable.

Advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

yeah going with optical cable is the only way for you. Optical is not used much lately so you should be able to find good deals on such a long cable.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

sorry but your (very good) but old receiver has only hdmi 1.3 which deosn't support ARC feature....the only way for you to get audio from your TV would be to buy a converter coaxial to optical or check out if your TCL has a heaphone jack that can be turn into an audio line out (some TV do it)

profile.country.GB.title
thonyman
New

Thanks for your response. I understand now.

Uh, I don't have a co-ax out of the TV.

There's a headphone jack but when it's connected, the TV sound is muted.

(So I can hear with the cans but my wife cannot :-))

There is an optical out (SPDIF), which I have currently connected by DAC to analogue L\R cables.

I'd rather clean up that hokey setup so I'll try it with a full length TOSLINK cable and hope that the 5m cable length won't be too long.

Cheers 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

yeah going with optical cable is the only way for you. Optical is not used much lately so you should be able to find good deals on such a long cable.

profile.country.GB.title
thonyman
New

Thanks again. A full length (5m) TOSLINK cable did the trick. Excellent audio and cheap 🙂