Join now - be part of our community!

sony blu ray 390 problem playing some WAV file extension

profile.country.en_GB.title
zarg05
Visitor

sony blu ray 390 problem playing some WAV file extension

Just bought the compact 390 blu ray.  Its a great, neat little gadget about half the size of my sony 360 blu ray which it has replaced. 

I have set it up to stream music etc from my pc - but have found that about 20% of my music files which are in WAV format are being recognised by the machine as DTS @ 88 kbps.  This results in highly distorted sound or no sound at all.  These files often come from the same download or rip that contain files which play perfectly.

Please note that mp3 files of various bitrates all seem to play OK apart from the odd one or two.

This annoying if listening to classical pieces with several movements because inevitably i find a track won't play some way into the piece.

After contacting Sony support they said that the problem is caused because WAV is an extension of LPCM - which doesn't really explain why 4 out of 5 files play OK. 

Depending on the origin of the original file and what it was encoded in and or to - these codecs leave some mark in the 'headers' of the WAV file such is the way it is 'put together'. These identifying markers/artefacts can 'confuse ' the player as to what the file is.

I have found that converting files to WMA Lossless (otherwise known as WMA 9 i believe) seems to alleviate the problem of the original WAV files not being recognised correctly. 

Most of my files are converted from cdda red book or APE/Flac via pc - so i suppose there is room for plenty to go awry along the way.

Anyway - if anyone is having a similar problem i can only recommend converting your files to WMA Lossless.

I found a free share converter which does most of the most popular formats (plus they do a video version too for those interested)  The software is called 'Freemake Audio Converter' which can be found at freemake.com.

Message was edited by: zarg05

0 REPLIES 0