Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
glowworm
Explorer

Pass through works perfectly with my SONY TV from SKY and SONY BluRay player , turns TV speakers on and off automatically. I like SONY kit and solves the compatibility problems ... I hope :slight_smile:

Chaudax
Explorer

This is ok if all the devices are made by SONY. But I think SONY should make it clear to customers in their manuals or by other means that some devices might not be compatible. I don't know if this is a marketing strategy to make customers go out and spend more money on SONY products.
HalloweenMan
Explorer

HDMI Pass through in standby mode does not work for me and I am using all Sony devices - Sony TV , Sony PS3 , Sony Blue ray ...
Very disappointed with Sony...

Chaudax
Explorer

Strange. I would call SONY. What are the settings on the amp.? Is the pass through option set to On, off or auto. Also the control for HDMI settings on or off?
HalloweenMan
Explorer

I have gone through the Receiver manual in great detail , and tried every possible setting.

The manual suggests :

"Control fo HDMI"  ON

"Pass Through" AUTO

• I have factory reset the Receiver
  • swapped the HDMI cables
  • tried only one Sony input device to the Receiver at a time.
  • I have tried different TV's including a new Samsung and Sony bravia... but alas no luck. 

When I turn off the receiver the audio & video signal pass through via HDMI for 30 seconds , a relay in the Receiver then clicks and then nothing ! 

From looking at the net -  HDMI Pass through in standby functionality is hit or miss, however if you use all Sony devices like I am,  you would expect Sony to test their products and ensure thay they perform correctly.

The reason I bought this Receiver was because it advertised HDMI Pass through in standby functionality.

I have contacted Sony but have not received a response yet.

Chaudax
Explorer

SONY need to sort this out. It's not good enough. I did everything you mentioned as well but without success. Kept getting that clicking noise and everything went blank after 30 secs as you mention. The pass through only worked with my son's LG TV. Hit and miss like u say. Not sure what to do might return the receiver and ask for a refund?? In the meantime I have my sky HD box connected straight to the TV. And a optical connnection from sky to the receiver for dolby digital. So I can watch normal TV without having the amp on and when I want to watch movies etc I can get surrond sound through the amp. PS3 is through the amp. for gaming and blu Ray although blu Ray player is not very good in the PS3.
glowworm
Explorer

I have a SONY BRAVIA KDL-40HX803 TV about 2 years old and passthrough works OK.

On TV I have set

EXT INPUTS

Control for HDMI ...ON

Auto Device off .....ON

Auto TV ON ....   ON

From the HDMI menu I can see connected HDMI devices ...AV and a Bluray player

On the AV I have set as you say for HDMI Control ON and Passthough ON

IQzero
Explorer

I've had the same problems.  

my setup:

philips tv (from around 2007-ish) 

str dn 1040 receiver

inputs for the receiver:

vu+ solo2 ( satelite tuner)

popcorn hour ( for video/audio)

At first passthrough did not work at all. This was related to the HDMI cable. All the ones I had were a couple of years old.

I managed to get passthrough working by buying a recent HDMI cable ( HDMI High speed (some shops call this hdmi 1,3 or 1.4 cable but high speed is the official name)

When I used this cable between the reciever and tv passthrough was working but after roughly 30 seconds the recevier cuts down the signal (you'll hear a click). 

This was solved by enabling the HDMI CEC setting in my television. Philips uses the term EASYLINK for this but I do not know if this is the same in other brands.

After this it works fine. 

it appears that I do not need the high speed HDMI cables between receiver and vu+/popcorn

I hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
ribrigg29

I too recently bought a STR-DN1040 and had exactly the same problem, and tried every combination of of settings and connection's, but could not get pass through to work, so the receiver went back in favor of a Yamaha RX-V675 which incidentally has no problems with pass through using the same equipment/connection's, nor did my old Onkyo AV amp, so the problem is very obviously related to the Sony unit!

However due to the fact that i have found the Yamaha considerably inferior in sound dynamics to the 1040 (well done Sony for that!) i will be exchanging the Yamaha for another 1040, and will endeavor to find a solution or work around, however i do think Sony should be seriously looking into this problem,

DO SONY STAFF/TECHS EVER READ OR COMMENT ON THESE THREADS?

I initially found another Sony site while searching for solutions to this problem and they at least seem to have tech staff answering and trying to find solutions, one further thing thats come to light is that although they seem to have more than their far share of this problem, the guys in AU don't! and the only difference seems to be that the AU 1040 has an "ON" position for the pass through switch rather than just "OFF" or "AUTO" which seems interesting, have Sony thought of a firmware update that could maybe enable this switching?

Anyway i will be very interested to see if there is any further comment from Sony regarding this issue, and from doing some research there are an awful lot of people having this issue with the 1040.

Chaudax
Explorer

Hi ribrigg29

Sony technical support have not been much help and I don't know whether or not they read these threads. I called them a couple of weeks ago and they said there is probably a compatibility issue with my equipment so they suggested try another TV or take it back to where I bought the 1040 from and see if the shop can reproduce the same problem. Couldn't be bothered so I tried for the last time on my son's LG TV (just over a year old) and the pass-through worked no problem. So I guess there is some kind of compatibility issue with my Pioneer TV which is fairly old (8 years approx.). I have no option to enable HDMI control unlike newer TV's - maybe this is the problem? But all this doesn't mean SONY shouldn't find a solution to fix this like you mentioned a firmware update?? At least the manuals should have a note saying something like: "pass-through function might not be compatible with some makes of equipment etc." Interesting you mention the "ON" position for pass-through. My receiver only has "OFF" or "AUTO" which according to the manual is only on European models. The "ON" option is only applicable to Australian models. Well this is what the manual says. Anyway when I called SONY they kept saying to me set it to "ON". I had to repeatedly tell them my receiver only has "OFF" or "AUTO". They actually made a big deal of this and said there was a problem with the receiver and told me to get it exchanged right away which I did until I read the manual and some threads saying there was no "ON" option on European models. I am the same as you because the sound is terrific I have kept the receiver - after all the receiver is meant for the movie experience.  For normal TV I have my skybox connected to the TV but I have a optical cable connected to the AMP so if I want I can still watch movies etc. in dolby digital. So AMP can remain off if I want. For games; blu-ray etc. I want the AMP on anyway.