Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VPL-VW520ES firmware update issue

profile.country.GB.title
jules0266
New

Sony VPL-VW520ES firmware update issue

I’ve had a VPL-VW520ES for about 18 months and it’s been great. However I’ve recently been trying to update the firmware and I’m tearing my hair out trying to do it.

I have tried everything. I’ve followed Sony’s website instructions to the letter (downloaded the update, unzipped it, copied it to a USB drive), I’ve bought two new memory sticks (Sony technical said the 128gb drive was “too big” which I don’t believe for one second), I’ve erased them, formatted them as FAT32 and tried the update again but I still can’t get the projector to update its firmware. I’ve erased and formatted the sticks on both Mac and PC computers but still no luck.

I want to get the firmware sorted because I’ve had a display issue with my PS4 Pro. When I put the PS4 in HDR mode, the projector image goes ‘milky’ but I’m pretty sure it’s not the games console. I’ve taken screen grabs with the full colour and ‘milky’ images but when viewed in the Pro’s capture gallery, the images look identical with full colour.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Jules,

Thanks for joining the community.

If you've followed instructions and it's still not working, it's probably best to contact support for advice here.

Cheers,

EdwinaU

profile.country.GB.title
jules0266
New

I’ve been in contact with technical support. It was they who suggested I use a smaller USB stick.

There is power to the USB socket on the projector as there is pulsing red light on the stick itself so either the update instructions are incorrect or the memory stick won’t format correctly. But surely the stick should work ‘out of the box’? USB memory sticks are supposed to be universal, correct? Hence ‘universal serial bus’?

profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Hi Jules,

What happens when you insert the stick and try to update? Is there an error message?

Thanks,

Drew

onno78
New

Hi, I had the same problem (I'm using a mac). 

I googled and came acros another sony community and someone had the same problem and what he did was run windows 8 virtually on his mac by using vmware and than formatted his drive which fixed the problem.

What I did was that I formatted the usb drive on an older windows version (Windows 7 x64) which also did the trick.

What you should see after putting in the usb drive on your beamer is the power led blinking orange once you've turned on your beamer