Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia M4 Aqua not turning on

profile.country.GB.title
Jckistan
New

Xperia M4 Aqua not turning on

I thought I'd try and get some feedback here, just in case someone is able to guide me.

I stopped using my Xperia M4 Aqua regularly in 2019, since then, it's been an emergency phone in case a phone of mine needs repairing or is unusable. The last time it was used like this was around 2021 or 2022, when it was used for a week or so, then factory reset and put in a drawer until 2023, meaning it has not been set up. I got it out to try and re-use it, when I discovered a few issues:

1. The first time I tried to boot it, it would reach the waves animation after the Sony logo, before not progressing any further. It would keep loading like this until the battery died.
  2. After a few attempts, it wouldn't even reach this point. I could boot it to the Sony logo, but it would stay there, frozen, until its battery died. Because of this, when I put it on charge, it would show the Sony logo and freeze, not allowing me to see the charging indicator.
  3. It's been a couple months more, and the phone no longer turns on. I have tried the "power button + vol+" trick, which hasn't worked. Using the reset button by the SD slot does nothing, since it doesn't even turn on.

I suspect it's a hardware fault, but I don't want to lose what is arguably my favourite phone. Are there any solutions to fix this problem? Can it be repaired via software, or does the hardware have to be repaired?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Try it with Xperia Companion.

Choose Software repair.

Mark the checkbox: My device cannot be detcted or started.

You will be guided by the program.

Let us know if it worked for you.

profile.country.GB.title
Jckistan
New

Hello,

Last time I tried, Xperia Companion couldn't detect the device. Back when it did turn on, showing the Sony logo, I did try Xperia Companion to see if it could help. Sadly, it couldn't detect the device.

I recently tried turning on the phone and got the problem I described there. I charged it overnight with a cable I knew to work, but I got no response, so I assumed the phone was practically dead.

However, I've just used a different cable to plug into the computer as a last-ditch attempt. It's detecting a charge now, with the red light coming on and the empty battery screen showing. As of right now, I can turn it on, but Xperia Companion doesn't help because it doesn't turn on far enough to register the VOL - button being pressed.