Join now - be part of our community!

Hard drive not recognized

profile.country.en_GB.title
marsid37
Visitor

Hard drive not recognized

Have bought a brand new WD Elements Hard Drive 500Gb for brand new Bravia 32EX724. When trying to copy from TV I get the usual  "Hard Drive not recognized".

I say usual because I have probably read EVERY post on this subject,and done the following.

1.Formatted hard drive to Fat32 and also tried exFat32

2.Reset the TV to Factory settings

3.Reformatted it back to NTFS and then back to Fat32

4.Ensured I got a Hard drive that does not need another power lead

5 After format to Fat32,plugged in Hard drive to PC and it shows as formatted to FAT32

All of these were suggested by people on the forum,but the damn thing is still coming up with HARD DRIVE NOT RECOGNISED.

Please what do I do now ???

Thanks for ANY other suggestion

Message was edited by: marsid37

Message was edited by: marsid37

7 REPLIES 7
drhowells
New

Hi, you say "When trying to copy from TV". What exactly are you trying to do? You cannot record something off the TV and then copy it to a computer. It is designed so you cannot do this. Once the drive is registered with the TV, recordings can only be watched on THAT TV.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

curious to know why you chose an un powered drive, since before all this confusion started Sony always recommended the Western Digital My Book Essentials which is a powered drive!, ans as you full well know from reading all the posts, this has gone to ANY drive as long as its bigger than 32gb, :smileyconfused:!!,

Sony have been as much help as two tits on a bull in all this and have never come forward with any hard and fast rule of whats what, and until we all get this confirmation we will always be posting on here with one quibble or another on this.

all i can say is that once you plug the drive in it should say on screen that it has detected said drive and do you wish to register it, but be aware that once you do it may render it useless on anything else!

marsid
Visitor

drhowells.......... I am not trying to record off TV and copy to PC...just trying to record from TV to a hard drive,but it won't let me do it because  the hard drive is not recognized.

marsid
Visitor

Bravia 55hx 923.... I chose this hard drive after trying  a Seagate Freeagent 111Gb which was also not recognized. But having said that I should point out that when I plug in the TV states taht a usb device has been detected but then will not let me register it !!

Bravia55HX

yes, that is the case with me if i use my flash drive and you dont need to register that, it will let you watch content from it but not record, however i refuse to use a HDD drive for the sole reason that i dont want the tv to register it just so i can record a program or two, thats just a waste, besides the Virgin  TiVo box is a far better option for recording tv and thats what i use!, not much help in your case but given all the hassle with HDD and sony tv's its a better bet, besides a HDD and sony tv cant record three shows at once while your watching one you recorded earlier can it!

marsid
Visitor

I agree with that.

However what is the chances of Sony support Ever sorting this out ?Looking back over the last two years it would seem that customer support from this company is useless.

It would seem that this organisations customer care is now NON Existent. I have always preferred Sony products but with great regret I will now look at other makes of ALL electrical goods for my needs.

COME ON SONY SUPPORT LETS HAVE SOME SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bravia55HX

I agree, unfortunately Sony have been loosing a lot of money over the last few years and presumably theres cutbacks in all areas, this is one of the reasons i have refrained from buying a Vaio laptop as i fear that should i need support it wont be there!!