Join now - be part of our community!

Power On Delay

derekod
Explorer

Power On Delay

Why is there a delay in either selecting HDMI channels or the media player just after powering on the set ( 50W829)?

The set has the latest update installed and I have also reset the TV.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Even though in previous answers to other questions,  I keep saying that a TV is not a computer, however in many cases they are alike.  A TV has an operating system much like a computer (slimmed down version anyhow), however this takes a few seconds to 'boot up' from when you first switch the TV on.  As its a TV, the main function is to display a picture, therefore the priority is to get you a picture as quick as possible (via the TVs internal tuner) and other things come secondary and takes the TV a little time to fully 'boot up' (ie detecting network settings, ability to change HDMI inputs, etc)

Cheers

derekod
Explorer

Is it just because it is a smart TV that there is a delay, as I have a Panasonic Plasma that you can select what ever input you want without any delay.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess with Smart TVs, there are simply more things that the TV must do before being fully operational (i.e. detect network settings etc).

derekod
Explorer

I could understand a delay being there to watch anything over the network, say Netflix, streaming etc.

But to simply select a HDMI input or switch between inputs I think this is a bit over the top.

I can only presume that it is the processing power built in to the design of the TV is inadequate for the purpose.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hello derekod,

How long is the delay ? For example my TV is hooked up to a Blu-ray Recorder and a Home Theatre System which are all controlled via HDMI i.e. they can all communicate with one another using HDMI and Bravia Synch so whichever unit I want to use, the television switches automatically. If I select play on my Theatre System and the TV is actually OFF it will automatically power up the TV and once it is ready it will play the movie. When the movie is finished and I power down the Theatre System the TV powers down also. This still takes almost a minute to get going (power down is immediate) but there is no urgency here ?

As Quinnicus has said there is almost always a delay when things are powering up (and that's the key here, powering up - not 'power on delay'), my smart phone takes almost a minute to power up from switching it on as there is so much information to load up.

You can usually tell that the power up is complete when the EPG is available which usually takes several seconds after the picture is available, it should then switch / select HDMI inputs okay.

I switch on then go make a cup of coffee (or pour a beer depending on the time of day) so it is well ready by then :trophy:

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

For those of us without this TV set / complaint, can I ask how long the delay actually is?

(Curses - I was narrowly pipped to asking the question by the post above lol)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jumpsuit wrote:

For those of us without this TV set / complaint, can I ask how long the delay actually is?

(Curses - I was narrowly pipped to asking the question by the post above lol)

@jumpsuit  - please write 100 times on the whiteboard (blackboards are old-fashion) - "I must right quicker"  :grin:

derekod
Explorer

It is actually not a big deal but it is noticeable and you obiously just have to put up with it.

When you power on the set while viewing a terrestial channel you will have to allow about 40 seconds before you can select a HDMI source, as it will just display "Please Wait" on screen.

It seems like a long time at first when you first experience it, but you just have to get used to it.