Join now - be part of our community!

TV does not find external hard drive

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
fam_stark2000
Visitor

TV does not find external hard drive

Our TV (KDL46ex701) cannot find the external hard drive (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex STAA250200) when linked via USB. The hard drive supports connection via TV, but the TV does not respond at all to this.

Question no 1: Does the TV support hard drives (it should work as it responds to a USB memory stick)?

Question no 2: How do we make it work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

Sony can not guarantee work with external hard disc, how ever fail format should be in FAT32

R

Damac

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.en_GB.title
patheimo
Visitor

Hi,

You may find this a format issue. My understanding is that your telly will only recognize FAT32 (memory stick format) while your external hard-drive is formatted for NTFS. I would look at this for further information:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

Thanks,

profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

Sony can not guarantee work with external hard disc, how ever fail format should be in FAT32

R

Damac

profile.country.en_IE.title
ceallac
Visitor

I have formatted a 2.5" HDD 55GB to FAT32 but still cannot get the TV to read the drive - wondering if there is a need ofor more power

Did anyone get a HDD to talk to the TV

The usb drives connect no problem

Eager to get an answer to this - someone has figured it out I'm betting!

profile.country.en_EE.title
jaanpoiss
Visitor

I have the KDL-46EX402 and the same problem. External hard drive makes a beep every 18 seconds. FAT32 also does not helped. The fact is that TV has been able to find data on your hard drive. If the hard drive was NTFS format, I got a moment to watch a movie preview. I think also that it is a power problem.

iamtrist
Visitor

Try formatting to (less than) 32GB FAT. This isn't a satisfactory solution but so far it's the only way I've got my BDV E370 to see any external drives.

Also if you create multiple partitions, I think it'll only see the first.

profile.country.en_BG.title
aisthima
Visitor

The TV supports external HDD discs. Only FAT32 file system, not partitioned. Since you are using 2.5” HDD it needs to be supplied with power from the TV USB port so try using a shorter cable. When longer USB cable is used the power supply may not get to the HDD.

nedsir
Visitor

I  may be wrong but I think that your HDD is too small as on my TV it states that a HDD must be over 100 gig to work.

Not 100% sure though.

profile.country.GB.title
eltoyn1
New

I have had problems and found that my seagate 320gb drive needed to be Fat32 primary partition and now works fine.

HDKey1
New

On my KDL-46HX753 there are 2 USB ports, only one of which will support an external drive for recording off air. It matters not a jot what format the drive is as it will reformat it. Had no problems with it's performance (some niggly aspects regarding the TVs software when navigating the recorded programmes but otherwise fine).

Now, what is an hitherto unsolved problem is exactly how the drive (320Gig) is formatted. It is not readable on any pc/laptop OS I have. Indeed, if I connect it to a computer it thinks the drive is unformatted and offers to reformat it.

If anyone has any ideas I would be eternally grateful.

Merry Christmas