Join now - be part of our community!

W800B software is so slow!!! You have to wait 15 seconds before HDMI selection display appears!

Karolynaz
New

W800B software is so slow!!! You have to wait 15 seconds before HDMI selection display appears!

Hi, I just got Sony W800B TV, and software inside is so slow. For example, if I turn on the TV, and then press INPUT button on remote control I have to wait like 15-2O seconds and look at the text 'Please wait' before HDMI selection screen appears!!! The same is with the channels, if I turn on the screen and want immediately to change a channel I have to wait as well like 1O seconds! If I go to apps, there is a usuall 'lag' time, but for example if you plugin in a USB drive, with 8 GB of tv series or video files, TV will 'think' for 2 minutes before it will list all the files in USB. Is that normal, or my tv is somehow broken? I had LG from year 2O11 and there was zero lag time when switching channels or slecting HDMI input.

10 REPLIES 10
TimCurtis

Yes it is!

I've the W829 and start-up time is very slow , but once it's running OK everything is quite quick, it's just the 20-30secs after powering it on that's really annoying.

I've also just bought a Panasonic AS650 , which is a comparable set to the W829 , and that's really fast.

I've logged this issue with Sony , so maybe if you and others do the same we might get somewhere.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately what you have described is normal.  Ill explain.

When first turning on the TV, the TV is in a low-powered standby mode (much like a 'sleeping' computer - hibernate).  After starting up it needs to initialize/boot up first and look for new updates and that causes a little delay.

Also plugging in an USB stick will take some time as the TV first needs to scan the stick for content. As the TV is not a quad core super PC this may take some time.

TVs must be energy saving and speedy.

Cheers

TimCurtis

Yes but my Panasonic AS650 is ready & FULLY operational in a couple of seconds & I consider it to be comparable to my Sony W829.

So if Panasonic can do it why can't Sony?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a good question TimCurtis - I was under the impression that Sony have addressed this in the 2014 TVs called "Quick Start-up" function.  I believe thats in the settings somewhere (but dont know where im afraid) - I think the options are "Auto" and "Off" - can you check this please?

Cheers

TimCurtis

Looked everywhere & on mine there's no such option I'm afraid.

Nothing in the manual either.

Karolynaz
New

That's sucks, 'cause my old LG smart tv from year 2011 was lighting fast in comparison. I think Sony lost TV's war to Samsung and LG. Just checked thi's years LG models with WebOS and they make an good impression.

Let's hope that SONY maybe manages to fix something with software updates.

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

That's the irony with a lot of modern electronics and software. With all the advancements in processing power, things in many cases just become slower due to heavier generic software, or too much not-very-needed stuff happening in the background. Also software development practices seem to prioritize development time over execution speed and over the efficienct use of system resources.

I've a W654. In addition to the longish startup time, changing channels isn't immediate also afterwards.

I have the exact problem. To me it would be ok if using Apps on the tv was a little slow, but chaning channels, volume etc. should be fast like in the old days

TimCurtis

Just to note that on the 42W829 recent updates have improved the responsiveness of the TV on startup. Still not great but getting there.