Join now - be part of our community!

AM I OBLIGED TO REINSTALL APPLICATIONS DVD ?

AM I OBLIGED TO REINSTALL APPLICATIONS DVD ?

Hello,

I want to make a new clean installation on my vaio notebook.
I have 2 dvd : one for the system (with windows xp pro), and the other with the pre-installed applications.
After installing the first dvd, the os boots and ask me to install the application DVD, or it may cause system instability.
I don't want to install these applications (norton av, adobe elements, etc...) because they take a lot of space on the disc and I don't need them.
Is it true that if I don't install the application DVD, it mat cause problems ? Are there on this dvd important applications that I should install to run my vaio ?

Thanks for your answer !

10 REPLIES 10
Wan-Hi
Visitor

i'm not sure. if the first dvd installs windows and some drivers, you wont need the second dvd. this changes if the first dvd also installs some sony tools, e.g. vaio zone. tools like vaio zone depend on other software and wont run properly without them. i suggest you go to vaio-link, download the original drivers package and the original utilities package for your notebook model and install a clean version of windows with these setup programs.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No, you don't have to reinstall the applications if you don't want to.

StinHambo
Visitor

So how do you do a clean install of Windows XP ONLY with the recovery disks?

I would love to have a very clean install without all the crap running in the background.

Wan-Hi
Visitor

just install the first dvd. if it doesn't look clean, install you own copy of windows. but if you do it the second way, you won't be able to use the shipped applications anymore, e.g. ms works, windvd. you can get norton internet security on this website though, with all the features your shipped version has.

kee-lo_

So how do you do a clean install of Windows XP ONLY with the recovery disks?

I would love to have a very clean install without all the crap running in the background.

You can't really do that in theory, as the FN keys need Sony software to make them work, and powerpannel is needed for proper notebook control

Wan-Hi
Visitor

You can't really do that in theory, as the FN keys need Sony software to make them work, and powerpannel is needed for proper notebook control

the software you mention is provided by the original drivers package and original utilities package. the packages are on the download page of vaio-link (at least for the fs series).

Wan-Hi
Visitor

kee-lo_

Then there's no problem?

Wan-Hi
Visitor

Then there's no problem?

probably there are more pitfalls depending on everyone's individual situation. but the drivers / utilities packages enable the FN keys and S1/S2 keys. they also setup the sony power management software. and most important, they set the cpu to full speed when the notebook is plugged in. without these packages my fresh windows showed a cpu clock speed of only 768mhz, although a 750 cpu model is working inside my laptop. so i guess, this is all you need (plus a valid windows version) to use all the hardware features your notebook offers.