Join now - be part of our community!

AR21M With VISTA RTM (little review and list of tested/working applications)

djrayon
Visitor

AR21M With VISTA RTM (little review and list of tested/working applications)

Okey ... since i got vista officialy i may post a little review.

(first off - excuse me for my poor english (cuz i turned off check spelling as i type in firefox )

1. Aero Glass
The next best thing after themes. Aero glass is sooo powerful and clear with my 17.1". My eyes rest when my vaio is starting up. The start up progress is very fast ... really ... MCE starts up slower than VISTA and overally VISTA IS faster than MCE. (maybe because better control of DC2 procs)

2. Direct3D use
Im not really fond of that. Aero shoots up in D3D mode so all windows effects/windows/aps are rendered directly to your GPU. nVidia GO 7600 works well in this situation but i dont really know what should i do when i want to run somethin graphic intense (Oblivion? Microsoft Flight Simulator).

3. RAM control
As i used beta 1 and 2 and some betas in the middle ... the vista ram control is began to be better ... for microsoft ... this sign is good because earlier betas ate up all you ram and still were sluggy and slow ... vista rtm eats it up (half of 1024 was on mine) but the quality is excelent 😃 ... speed is enormous. No freezes what so ever. Everything looks good, feels good and moves good.

4. Compactibility
Most of Sony's software work. Most of overall software work correctly but still i would wait for updated versions of software designed for vista because some software turn off aero and so on (because not designed for vista). Only thing that doesnt suits for vista is the driver model. SO if you think that Vista is beautified XP ... loose that idea ... and think that you could use xp drivers on vista (like 2000 drivers in vista and vice versa) ... ur wrong. I tryed but i failed ... :slight_smile:

5. Support for Sonys hardware
Okey heres a BIG HUGE LARGE (what ever ) smile .... because Sony uses a lot of "standard" hardware that is mostly supported by Microsoft ... my AR21M left 3 unknown devices all other were installed and they worked fine ... even MCE remote and volume control/media player controls.

6. File System
They redesigned the whole "idea" of "my" stuff. Now there is C:\Users\
I like that even more(but there is a but )
and everything goes like this
C:\Users\\Downloads\
C:\Users\\Contacts\
C:\Users\\Pictures\
etc

7.Overview
OK ... lets be honest. I LOVE VISTA. As it moves so smooth and so on. Looks nice and works well (propably cuz my AR21M is Premium Ready).
B U T STILL. I hate microsoft. As i began to build friendship with me and vista i understood that vista had copy writed linux ... firefox and whole punch of other things.
Before it wasnt so obvious but in vista ... omfg.
Windows now has a security console and hardcoded security policities and every move that windows makes now goes through them. So if windows wants you to run a file move or delete order the system security is alerted. They call it UEC or smthng (maybe wrong).
Actually you meet with this UEC in EVERY STEP that you take inside of vista. Every program that is not kernel service wants you to allow it to run and etc. (even "Add & Remove Programs" wants to confirm "Allow").
Linux had that feature faaaaaaaaaaaaaar before than windows propably even thought of that ... they called it SELinux (if i remember). That was powerful but NOT anoying like UEC is. UEC bothers you EVERYWHERE, but you could start SELinux runtime and login and every action didnt need your attention like UEC does.

The whole \Users\\ thing is
lol ... but from Linux. Maybe its not (i may be wrong) but it smells like it is. Dont know. But the style is very same. (with all that "public" direcotries included)

ofcourse we all know FF and IE
and that TAB thing ... and that many FF shortcuts work in IE (dont know why they decided to use the same shortcut keys :P)

Okey ...
if some1 has any questions ... ask me (mail or post :).
(review updates as i use so some1 could/should stick it
)

Working Applications
Tags:
woa - without Aero)
gw - glitches but works
p - perfectly (or i didnt have any problems)
t - testing

• Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 -p
    • Adobe CS2 Suite (whole thing) -p
    • Winamp 5.xx -p
    • Alcohol 120% 1.9.6 -p
    • Nokia PC Suite 6 -gw
      SMS Sending seems to have problems
    • MSN Live Messenger 8.1 BETA -p
    • MSN Live Messenger 8.1 Patch (mess.be) -p
    • Macromedia Fireworks 8 -woa -gw
    • Macromedia Flash 8 Pro -p
    • Easypano Tourviewer 1.3 Pro -woa
    • Eset NOD32 -p
    • Micosoft Office 2007 Enterprise -P
      LOL ... i think this is obvious.
    • Propellerheads Reason 3 -t
    • Everest ULTIMATE Edition 2007 -p
    • WinRAR 3.62 -gw
      LOTS OF PROPBLEMS ... Context links doesnt work. (exctracting and packing) ... Software works if opened (and "allowed") and then used as packing or exctracting
    • Firefox 2 -gw
      Dont leave FF open when shuting down or restarting.
    • Codecs: DivX 6.(something) -gw
some addon process dumps and crashes but movies play and mainly it still works ...
    1. Codecs: Xvid 1.1.2 -p
      seems like working ... no crashes
    2. Codecs: InterVideo AC3 codec (2 file version) -t -p
      so far so good
    3. Codecs: QuickTime alternative -t -p
      also so far so good
    4. Codecs: Real Alternative -t -p
      same as before :slight_smile:
    5. Media Player Classic -woa -gw
      crashes. startes with aero but when u load a movie aero loads off. maybe mpc works fine but DivX forces to load aero off
    6. Sony Utils -p
    7. Sony Shared Library -p
    8. Vaio Event Service -p -gw
gw cause after installing event service volume control doesnt work and mute also but CD EJECT works ... that button didnt work before :tongue:
    1. SmartFTP 2 -p
    2. eMule Plus 1.2 -p
    3. Picasa 2 -p
    4. MySQL GUI Tools -p
    5. LimeWire 4.13 -woa
    6. Java 6 -gw
      java enabled apps loose aero

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks for that DJ Rayon, looks interesting so far.

icebox
Visitor

2. Direct3D use
Im not really fond of that. Aero shoots up in D3D mode so all windows effects/windows/aps are rendered directly to your GPU. nVidia GO 7600 works well in this situation but i dont really know what should i do when i want to run somethin graphic intense (Oblivion? Microsoft Flight Simulator).

Dont worry about that.
As soon as you turn something in full screen aero turns off, so all the power of the gpu is transfered to that application.

Directx based desktop is a big step for microsoft... and to me it seems like is was done in a good way. lets hope it doesnt have that many hickups :tongue: