Join now - be part of our community!

[:((] External samsung monitor not recognizing signal from SZ1XP [:((]

otten
Visitor

[:((] External samsung monitor not recognizing signal from SZ1XP [:((]

I hope someone can help me as I've wasted so much time on this already...

I have a Vaio SZ1XP (NVIDIA Go 7400) and I'm trying to connect it to a Samsung 244T monitor.

The monitor simply does not recognize any signal coming in from the Vaio.

The monitor works perfectly well with analogue and/or digital signals from any other source, and the Vaio can drive other monitors (eg the small acer one normally attached to the desktop).

But the combination of the Vaio connected to the 244T simply doesn't work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? I've updated to the latest drivers available from Sony (see dump below) and I'm not sure what else I can do...

Thanks in advance,

Brett

=============================================
Driver config:

Components

nvCpl.cpl 1.0.8.13 NVIDIA nvCpl Control Panel Applet
nvExpBar.dll 1.0.8.13 NVIDIA nvCpl Explorer Bar
nvCplUI.exe 1.0.8.13 NVIDIA nvCpl Container
nvViTvS.dll6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 84.91
nvMoblS.dll 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 84.91
NVMCTRAY.DLL 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Media Center Library
NVOGLNT.DLL 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICD
nvDispS.dll 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA nvCpl Display Server
NVCPL.DLL 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 84.91
NV4_MINI.SYS 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Miniport Driver, Version 84.91
NV4_DISP.DLL 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 84.91
nvGameS.dll 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA nvCpl Game Configuration Server
=============================================

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Brett and welcome to ClubVAIO,

Your VAIO has 2 graphics chips. There is an integrated Intel one on the mainboard and there is an NVIDIA one.

To connect an external display only the NVIDIA one can be used.

In order to make sure that you use the NVIDIA one make sure that the Stamina - Speed switch is set to "Speed"
(changing from one mode to the other will require a restart).

:wink:

otten
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo,

It's a good idea, but the Vaio is already running on the "speed" setting.

And the Nvidia Control Panel works well in modifying the resolution on the laptop's screen and can even detect that it is a Samsung Multisync which is attached externally. So I'm pretty sure that the Nvidia is in control. 😞

Also, when I plug a different monitor into the laptop, it works perfectly and the Nvidia Control Panel can control the resolution etc of the extrernal monitor. So I think that the Nvidia must be in control...

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Bret

otten
Visitor

I've found what the problem is!!!

It's the VAIO Event Service which for some reason kills the video signal to this monitor...

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get Sony to work on a patch?

Thanks,

Brett

otten
Visitor

just for everyone's information, here's the sony support statement about the problem and my response. Companies can't continue to get away with such crap!!

*** NOTES 09-Sep-2006 Action Type: Info
Dear Brett.

Thank you for contacting us.
Unfortunately there is a compatibility issue with Samsung Monitors.
As yet there is no solution.

Case Close 19-Sep-2006 sa

*** CASE CLOSE 19-Sep-2006

Reopen 25-Sep-2006 Brett Cowan

*** STATUS CHANGE 25-Sep-2006

Notes 25-Sep-2006 Brett Cowan

*** NOTES 25-Sep-2006 Action Type: Info
Dear Sony,

Please only close this case once you have FIXED the problem, not just tell me that there is a compatibility issue.

It's your event service which stops the monitor working, so it's up to you to fix this.

Unless, of course, you wish to replace my Samsung monitor with the equivalent Sony one. I don't have the option of just leaving the situation as it is - I can't "close" my problem...

Thanks,

Brett

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sorry to say this but I think that's a bad excuse, they really should work with ANY monitor

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

compatibility issue? :smirk:

strange that my Samsung940BW works with my VAIO. The only problem is the resolution. The Radeon IGP 345M does not support 1440x900 pixels. Just 1270x768 on this screen. That's nearly 16:10 but the picture is very blurrish.

otten
Visitor

The vaio works with almost all monitors.

I would think that identifying the exact Sony service that is at fault would be most of the work - and I've done that for them.

The problem is definitely that Sony simply doesn't want to devote any resource to non-profitable work. I already gave them the money, so what's in it for them to actually fix the bug that their product has?

And they won't give me the source code of the service so that I have a chance to fix it myself...

hmmmmmm

I think it's called "Crap service" :angry:

otten
Visitor

See below their next entry on the open case.

It's touching that at least they're responding, but having some poor service desk guy apologise to me that Sony doesn't value good quality enough isn't really good enough from a company like Sony which markets itself as top quality.

it's really something that anyone thinking of paying top dollar should remember. I know I will in the future.

here's the response:

*** NOTES 10-Oct-2006 Action Type: Info
Dear Brett.

Thank you for your reply.

We are sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Please note though, that even though there are certain limitations to what we can do, we are constantly trying to maintain the highest standard. We have taken note of your comments and concerns and thank you for the time you have taken to share them with us.

Unfortunately, we cannot give you any other satisfactory response.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Know how you feel Brett, I feel like I'm being shafted when I get an email like that, like they're saying to me "OK say what you want, we're good alright?"

I really don't understand why this Samsung LCD shouldn't work, seems a little crazy that they just don't make it P&P like everything else.