Join now - be part of our community!

Help.... memory troubles

dtdtdtdtdt
Visitor

Help.... memory troubles

I recently bought a new memory chip DDR2 for me Vaio VGN-TX1HP and i've mananged to locate it in place. Unfortuantely my laptop is refusing to switch on or start with it in place. As soon as I take it out again it starts to work normally again.

Does anyone have an explanation or reason why this could be.

I've looked into Bios but i haven't been able to find any updates for my machine

any help or suggestions would be grately appreciated

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi dtdtdtdtdt

welcome to Club vaio.. :slight_smile:

Is the RAM you bought the correct type.?

Your system requires DDR2-533 PC2-4200, NON-ECC

Have you made sure it's seated correctly.?

dtdtdtdtdt
Visitor

Thanks for that

It fits in the slot perfectly... the chip has the following written on it :
1G DDR2 533 SO-DIMM CL4 this is the second chip I've had I sent the first back thinking that it was faulty but im having the same problems with the new one!!

is there anything that I can do?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

This is the type of ram the Crucial state is compatible with your vaio, is that similar to the one you've purchased.?

If so have you tried putting the RAM in different slots, for example place just the new RAM into slot one does your Vaio boot

dtdtdtdtdt
Visitor

Hi thanks for the prompt response

that is the ram i've bought... there is only one slot for the memory to be put into the original chip appears to be soldered in and wouldnt come out without taking the whole back off!!

Paul_Humphreys
Visitor

First thing to try is, take you other stick of ram out and try the new one in that slot and see if it works. If it works then it sounds like the ram slot is not working right.

Paul

dtdtdtdtdt
Visitor

does anybody have any idea to get access to take the original chip out cant access it without removing the bottom of the laptop and i can't work out how to do it Ive taken all the screws out and its still completely fixed together!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi dtdtdtdtdt,

I don't think you can remove the original installed 512mb Ram as according to the specs the original 512 Mb is fixed.. :slight_frown: