Join now - be part of our community!

How do I go about recovering system from a backup file with VPCEC2S0E?

profile.country.en_GB.title
panda-explosion
Visitor

How do I go about recovering system from a backup file with VPCEC2S0E?

Basically, I sent my laptop in to be repaired (model in question title), with Sony, and before doing so I backed up my files using standard Windows Backup. This took a few hours but I assume it worked, the backup folder in my external Harddrive ended up being around 400gb.

The problem now is that I don't know how to recover my system, on Vaio system recovery it doesn't find my external harddrive being a backup device, and while I can see a backup file on my harddrive, (which has an option in bold with 'recovery options' but does nothing when double clicked etc) I cannot find out how do do this, please can someone help me?

Feel free to ask more questions, I'm not hugely technologically literate so please bear with me, but there is important work on there and expensive programs, so it'd be hugely helpful if someone could help me .:smileyhappy:

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi panda-explosion,

If you used Windows Backup to create the file then you need to use the same utility to restore.

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup Status and Configuration. Click ‘Restore Files’.

If the drive has been replaced or formatted then you will need to use the Advanced Restore option and select ‘Files from a backup made on a different computer’. Then select the external drive from the drop down menu.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
panda-explosion
Visitor

I tried to go into that directory on the start menu but there is no option to do that, i have attached the image of all that there is on system tools at the moment.
I tried to search for backup and configuration and I only got to backup and restore, which doesn't find my backup. I have attached also a picture of my backup and the windows backup screen.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi panda-explosion,

Have you tried setting up Windows Backup? I am not running any Windows 7 machines but I understand that this can be done via Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore".

Maybe someone running Win 7 can offer further advice.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
panda-explosion
Visitor

I have tried that, and that is setting up another backup to be made of my files. I am told that the difficulty is because windows has been reinstalled on the device. If you could perhaps refer this to someone you might know running Windows 7, it'd be great, but no worries if you cant :smileyhappy:.

Thanks for your help!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi panda-explosion,

Once the backup is complete try the Advanced Restore option and select ‘Files from a backup made on a different computer’. Then select the external drive from the drop down menu.

If that doesn’t work I will ask for help from another Expert running Win 7.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat