Join now - be part of our community!

s3Z-XWM disk frantic on boot

stevebower
Visitor

s3Z-XWM disk frantic on boot

I have a problem with a new S3Z-XWM - I have removed most of the standard 'junk' - Ghost, AV, Office demo etc & installed a 'normal' copy of Office for which I already have a licence. However when I start-up, the disk goes frantic for about 5 mins & the system is unusable. I have disabled services like Indexing, and the service in Task Manager taking the processor power only says 'Service'. I have restored the original build & the same thing happens.

Anyone any idea or experience of what is going on?

Cheers, Steve

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Steve and welcome to Club Vaio.

Difficult to diagnose - could be lots of things as you have uninstalled and added software.

Are you using Norton Internet Security? Try disabling it and see if you continue to get the problem.

If it works OK with Norton off then look for a setting in Norton that turns off real-time checking of Office files.

:wink:

stevebower
Visitor

Hi

I have taken off all the Norton, as I really don't like, but have bought (not yet installed) a proper version of Ghost so that I can incrementally install my apps & take an image every time till it 'breaks'.

I might also look at a 'clean' XP install & selected Sony drivers, as per many of the other posts.

S