Join now - be part of our community!

Sony vaio keeps freezing

ClaireLFC
Explorer

Sony vaio keeps freezing

My Sony vaio laptop keeps freezing even on start up when I try and log in. I have tried to run a virus scan but it freezes up before its fully complete, all updates are done? Any advice would be appreciated :slight_smile:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ClaireLFC,

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode (press and hold F8 when you see the Vaio logo). If this boots successfully, and doesn't then freeze, you will then be able to run a full virus scan.

You may have a hardware/driver problem that could be difficult to narrow down but investigation of the Event Log may throw some light on this. Does your model have a Nvidia graphics chip?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ClaireLFC
Explorer

Hi Rich,

I ran the virus scan in safe mode but the laptop is still freezing.

I checked my event viewer but I'm not sure what to look for, sorry I'm not the best with IT. I also don't know if I have an Nvidia graphics chip.

go raibh maith agat

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ClaireLFC,

I'm assuming that the computer didn't freeze when in safe mode. The reason I ask whether it has the Nvidia graphics chip is that a fault with the soldering to Nvidia chips in particular, (but other graphic chips also) to the motherboard, can produce the symptoms you are experiencing. A reflow of the solder can in many cases solve this problem. What is your model name?

I suggest that you search 'graphics chip reflow' and then speak to a couple of listed companies offering this service to get an idea of cost and their opinion on the problem.

This is only an opinion as hardware and driver problems are difficult to diagnose at distance.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat