Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio SVE1513C5E shut down/restart/sleep problems

Trailmix
New

Vaio SVE1513C5E shut down/restart/sleep problems

So my Vaio laptop has been having problems with shutting down/restarting/sleep mode for quite a while now. It goes into sleep mode, despite me having turned off all the settings in control panel etc.

It goes into shutdown reluctantly and stays there with just the blue screen saying shutting down. I've left it for eight plus hours and it just stays there. Restarting seems to do the same. Holding the power button down seems to do very little although about five attempts later it seems to power off.

Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this and what I could do to fix it? I'm at a bt of a loss....

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Trailmix,

The issue as described can be caused by a problem application or driver that loads automatically at startup.

I suggest that you try a selective startup in an attempt to identify the culprit. This will be a long winded process but will hopefully solve, or at least identify the problem.

Click Start and in the search field type "msconfig" without quotes > click the found program. On the following System Configuration window select Startup and then click 'Disable all'. Shut down, and reboot and with all startup items disabled shutdown again and see whether it does so within a timescale you would expect. If it does then it will be a process of rebooting and re-enabling a few srartup items at a time, followed by a reboot until such time as the problem re-occurs.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Trailmix
New

I've disabled everything except the antivirus and restarted. It is restarting, but it is still very slow to boot and shut down. Any other ideas? It's set to defrag/optimize weekly anyway and it says it's 0% fragmented.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Trailmix,

I suggest that you try temporarily disabling your Antivirus to see whether this makes a difference. And on the subject of Antivirus, I assume that you have scanned your system with more than one utility?

If that fails to cure the problem then you could possibly be looking at a System problem. This may require a factory reset as the quickest way to resolve the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat