Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Z11VN nVidia set up for Linux Ubuntu

profile.country.GB.title
crsteve80
New

Vaio Z11VN nVidia set up for Linux Ubuntu

Dear Sony,

Could you please post an exaample xorg.conf file so that your customers using Linux Ubuntu (8.10 in this case) can use the nVidia graphics system? At the moment we're restricted to using the Intel graphics card, which is a shame.

This will silence a lot of bad press in the Linux forums about the Sony Vaio Z11.

Thanks

Craig Stevens

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.fr_BE.title
benste
Contributor

Nice to hear that there are a few new Ubuntu + Vaio users, even if Sony doesn't develop any type of software for them.
In the meantime I know that they know about Linux 🙂 [I gave a ubuntu live CD to the former CV boss :-)],
but actually nothing happens.

Dual Graficcard systems are not supported by linux in general yet, BUT you're able to use your nvidia card, like all other normal nvidia card, the only problem in Z series is chaging both cards.

I tested several options with Alexsey a Russian moderator who installed Ubuntu on a SZ (first Dual GPU system), the conclusion was:

we're able to use 2 grafic card with a script, which allows autodetecting of the GPU and using a specific x.org.conf file, both Nvidia cards and Intel cards are working fine, but switching the cards was only able with a restart of the X-server.

Now with the newer Z series the change seems to be done by a software which isn't implemented in anytype of opensource driver for linux. For changeing the card you need to go into recovery mode (XP / Vista installation) - choose the card and reboot the system to Ubuntu.

Once you enabled the Nvidia card, you simply get a message from Ubuntu restricted manager which promises you to install the additional restricted Nvidia GLX driver. - sadly I don't find the link to the israelian blog anymore, but you maybe already searched ubuntuforums on your own.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me via E-Mail, or ICQ / MSN / XMPP / GTalk
Benedict DOT Stein AT Gmail DOT com

PS: As soon as I have the knowledge I'll try to write something which is able to use the same or even better features as the windows system, but at the moment, I'm just starting with computer science in year 11 of a german school 😉

profile.country.GB.title
crsteve80
New

Thanks Bentse,

I had already seen the method for getting the NVidia card working by rebooting from Windows and swapping the xorg.conf files so have now got that very clunky solution working. However, my reason for coming to this forum was to address Sony engineers directly. This is an AWFUL situation to put users in and should have been anticipated. The machinery should never have been tied to a single software vendors whims.

What I want Sony to do (and I expect Sony to look at their own forums!!!!) is to devise and publish freely, the workaround for this problem whereby you don't have to use the shutting down of Windows to initialise the NVidia graphics card (or disable the Intel graphics card, whichever is the case).

The only other problem I have is with the Option 3G module. It has been initialsed as an NDIS unit on shipping. How do we normalise it so it appears as a /TTY/USBx. If not, could we have some advice please? I'm trying to use it with a Vodofone E172 3G modem when fitted internaly. I should probably start a new thread off for this.

These units aren't cheap, we expect good service!

Regards,

Craig