Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-SR16GN - how do I turn the microphone on?

profile.country.en_GB.title
gogrrrl
New

VGN-SR16GN - how do I turn the microphone on?

I have had this computer for about 3 years and it had Vista loaded, which was atrocious so I recently installed XP, which emant the manula that was originally loaded with it disappeared. Since then I cannot use skype or anything because the microphone is switched off according to the sound test, but I can't find how to turn it on. Can anyone help me - please????!!!!!

I can't register the product because the registration page doesn't accept the model number - I enter the serial number then it won't let me netr ANYTHING else - and without registration I can't get the manual - how user-friendly is SONY!!!!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi gogrrrl,

I don’t think this is a European model hence your serial number is not recognised.

Try the Asia Pacific support site for XP audio drivers.

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/VGN-SR16GN

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
gogrrrl
New

Thanks Rich, I went there, but could not figure out what I am supposed to do - there is nothing about Realtek there.

I am also having problems connecting to wireless since changing to XP, but I cannot make head nor tail of the advice on the upgrade/downgrade page which says in the drivers section that after downgrading to XP

"3.After power off Bluetooth device/Wireless LAN  device via Wireless Switch Setting Utility, Bluetooth device/Wireless  LAN device can not be power on again via Wireless Switch Setting  Utility. End user must manually switch Wireless Device H/W Control  button to power on Bluetooth device/Wireless LAN device again."

I have NO idea what any of that means, there is NO manual swiitch that I have ever manged to find, and as I mentioned in my original post, when I switched to XP I lost the user manual as it was in the Vista system, and have been unable to find one anywhere else. Really, SONY support would have to be the worst in the world for anyone but an expert. I am a mere mortal who just uses computers, and have no idea what ANY of that stuff is - eg what and where is the Wireless Device H/W Control  button. What is H/W, even??

I really am at my wits end - I can't even just take it into a shop because I am in Gaza. This is making it impossible to do my job, because I need to be able to use SKYPE, I need to be able to use wireless, I need to be able to use all the functions that every other computer has but that appear to be IMPOSSIBLE to work on SONY VAIO. THis is totally insane!!!! I have never had a computer like it - I was using a cheapo emachine with NO problems, but it could not handle HD video, so I left it at home and brought the vaio back with me - BIG mistake - I should have thrown it in the trash, by the look of it. Smoke signals would be quicker than trying to use this!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi gogrrl,

There is an XP Audio driver although it is not stated as being Realtek.

“1. Download the Audio.EXE file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
2. Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the Audio.EXE file to begin the installation.
3. Follow the installation wizard that appears.
4. At the License Agreement dialog, read the agreement. Click I Agree to continue with the installation.
NOTE: Several setup boxes may briefly appear during the installation. Follow the installation wizard that appears.
5. When the installation finishes, please restart the computer if needed.”

Wireless Switch Setting Utility is a software utility for turning on and off the two functions

(Bluetooth device/Wireless LAN) independent of each other. Basically I think they are saying that this utility will not work under XP and that you will need to use the Hardware (H/W) switch on the front left hand side of the notebook. Possibly by switching to the off position and then to on again. The User manual should help you identify this switch.

You will find manuals here:

User Manual

http://support.sony-asia.com.edgesuite.net/consumer/IM/SR4UGIE.pdf

User Guide

http://support.sony-asia.com.edgesuite.net/consumer/IM/TRGCDSIE.pdf

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat