Join now - be part of our community!

Why can't I convert VCR onto DVD via front inputs on XL201

profile.country.en_GB.title
andysp5
Visitor

Why can't I convert VCR onto DVD via front inputs on XL201

I have some old Videos I want to capture and put onto DVD.
I am connecting my old VCR into the 3 composite connectors at the front of my XL201 and then playing the video.
I have read the help and it says that I can use 'Click to DVD' and set it to read analog input. However, when I run 'Click to DVD', it only allows input via I-Link. I can't seem to get it to recognise the front analog input?

Has anyone managed to do this? If so, how?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Andy,

We have had this question about Click2DVD before on the XL-Series. I'm sure we escalated it to Sony but I don't think it was ever resolved.

Click2DVD should offer the Analogue Input Option a few seconds after you open the programme.

Have you checked the wiring from the front inputs to the nVidia Video Card? - sometimes the connections are a little dodgy where they link to the graphics card.

Have you tried the rear inputs?

Have you tried reinstalling Click2DVD from Vaio Recovery Utility?

Have you tried Windows Movie Maker - does that recognise the analogue inputs?

Sorry but I am clutching at straws as I know we haven't solved this in the past - an analogue video capture device to USB like the Dazzle is looking good.

I must be lucky, both my RC102 (Vaio Zone & XP) and my AR31S (Vista) are brilliant at capturing analogue video via the composite video sockets and Click2DVD recognises the analogue inputs.

:slight_frown:

andysp5
Visitor

Thanks for that info Blencogo. I'm sorry I didn't see the other thread on this, but am I correct in saying there is no Search option on this Forum?

I checked the connectors inside the box and noticed the front connectors are wired to the Avermedia card on which the rear connectors are also.
So I thought maybe it doesn't like both connected?

I have my Sky box connected to the rear composite connectors so I tried removing those, and Click2DVD still didn't see the analog VCR signal from the front connectors.
I tried connecting the VCR to the rear composite connectors (which I know work) and Click2DVD still did not recognise the analog VCR signal.
So I suspect Click2DVD is the issue on the XL201. I didn't bother re-installing it at this stage.
I then decided to try this in MCE itself.
I reconnected my Sky Box to the rear composite connectors and reconnected the VCR to the front composite connectors.
I then did the 'setup TV signal' in MCE, and selected Satellite.
It then scanned the inputs and found Sky on Composite 1 and displayed the live TV in the little window.
However, I then move the cursor to Composite 2 and selected that, and hey, it showed the VCR picture.
So I selected this, and went through the guide settings even though I wasn't using them.
Then when you select 'Live TV' in MCE, it plays the VCR picture.
You can then press the Record button on your remote and create an MCE manual recording and give it a suitable name.
I will use MCE to put this on a DVD, or I may just leave it on the HDD.

After doing this, I will have to reset the TV input in MCE to see Sky, but that is a 2 minute job.

So don't bother with Click2DVD, use MCE.

Andy

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well done Andy.

Apologies - I meant the inputs should be connected to the TV Card not the Graphics card.

Looks like you are right, this is a Click2DVD problem.

Glad you have found a workaround and just for the benefit of others, are you using the AverMedia card in Analogue TV Mode or DVB-T Mode? Are you using an IR Blaster connected to your Sky Box?

:thinking:

andysp5
Visitor

I'm not sure about the Analog/DVB-T question. I go into 'Setup Tv Signal' in MCE and select Satellite rather than Antenna or Cable. It then asks whether I have a set-top box etc. It then scans the inputs.
Yes I use the IR Blaster taped to the front of my Sky box.