Join now - be part of our community!

Why does my Vaio consistently take itself out of Sleep/Hibernation Mode, for no apparent reason??

profile.country.en_GB.title
pucca555
Visitor

Why does my Vaio consistently take itself out of Sleep/Hibernation Mode, for no apparent reason??

I often close the lid on my Vaio before going to bed, putting the laptop into Sleep or Hibernate mode; depending on the Power-Plan it's set to at the time...

Why does my Vaio keep taking itself out of Sleep/Hibernate mode and subsequently waking me up, much to my annoyance?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like some sort of sheduled event is happening that is capable of waking the Vaio from sleep.

What model Vaio do you have?

Do youhave a TV tuner attached?

Do you have any programs that provide TV Listings or online TV Content (Like TVTV)?

It does sound like an EPG Updating.

You can stop your network card from doing this by right-clicking on your network card in Device Manager -> Properties -> Power Management and untick the option there to prevent your network card from ever waking up your Windows.
networkwakeupvistaautomatically Fix Windows Vista/7 Sleep mode from waking up by itself

You can check what device woke your Vaio by going to the Command Prompt and entering the command line: -

powercfg – lastwake

wakeupeventviewer Fix Windows Vista/7 Sleep mode from waking up by itself

or probably better try typing this: -

powercfg –devicequery wake_armed

mousewakeupwindows Fix Windows Vista/7 Sleep mode from waking up by itself

You will see in this example that the Mouse has caused the wake-up.

:thinking:

nathanco2
Visitor

Hi,

If you use a 3rd party ball-less mouse this is quite common as light changes can make it appear to have moved, much in the same way as it can at times make your cursor jump around the screen erraticaly (mine does if the surface is glossy or grainy).

Nat

pucca555
Visitor

@nathanco2

Hi Nat,

Thank you for the suggestion, I didn't think of that!

True enough, my navigation usage is normally split between the laptop trackpad and a mouse about 50:50, so this could well be a revelant solution.

This is something I'll definitely look out for as a possible cause the next time my Vaio wakes-up unexpectedly.

Many thanks again.

Becca

profile.country.de_DE.title
itsreallyme
Visitor

Ok, after being annoyed by this problem too for quite a while I finally found the answer (after combining hours of research online and some thinking) and only signed up here to share it with you.

In the device manager, I had to disable the mouse AND THE KEYBOARD from being able to wake the computer up. Only disabling that option for the mouse alone would still enable the mouse to wake up my Vaio. Weird...

I have a Logitech mouse+keyboard set, I hope this helps others with the same issue too. Optical mice sometimes cause a little cursor movement by themselves, and it's enough to wake up a PC.